Parking lights are staying on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Parking and dash lights are staying on

This is for the gas truck in my signature. I just picked it up recently and found that the parking lights and dash lights stay on. The truck came with the tow package so it has the plug for the trailer, but the receiver hitch and trailer plug are missing. The plug from the harness is clean.

ALL of the other electrical works perfectly. Except for the dome when you open the door. The thumbwheel will turn the dome on.

I cleaned all of the grounds on the firewall.

I cleaned the ground that has about 9 wires on it below the battery.

I couldn't find a ground in the rear for the trailer or rear light assembly, if there even is one.

I dropped the spare and the rear harness looks good. It wasn't rubbed by the tire.

I checked all of the parking bulb sockets and they're all clean.

I even threw in another CTM to see what would happen. Nothing changed.

I got another headlight switch at the JY but left it at home and won't be able to put it in this time around. The Headlight switch plug looks good. The lights go off with the switch removed.

This is the only ground that is missing. It is on the DS fender above the headlight. Any idea where it goes?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found out some more info and gave it a try. I pulled the trailer tow relay and the trailer tow 40A breaker. The lights went out and I was happy, except I haven't found the problem.

Then I fiddled with the dash light thumb wheel and the dash and parking lights came back on. It would appear to be the darn headlight switch. Do these go bad often? Something that I forgot to add earlier was that when I had the headlight switch out the parking lights went off.

Thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah early headlight switches burn out frequently. There's no relay or anything to take the load.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I can't remember. You have an 01? I can't see sigs or anything on my phone. I can take a pic of where that ground goes in the morning though

OP
OP
C

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would be great. I'm hoping to check another yard and see if there's a switch.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The headlight switches are notorious for burning out. No, there isn't a relay on the 2001s, unless you have the sport model, then the quad highs (inner highs) are the only ones to have a relay. The outer highs still run through the light switch.

OP
OP
C

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. Good info.

Thanks