Please read !! Need and idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Hey guys i got a 99 dodge ram with the 5.9 144000 miles
And i just can not figure out my truck it ran fine I just did new distributor, cap and rotor new crank cam sensor new plugs wires new coil new aic new tps and map sensor. My fuel pressure is good i have good fuel volume as well.
Flex plate is not cracked. Been chasing this for a while now

My truck starts up but dies gotta keep hitting gas too keep it running and sometimes it wont even fire back up or wont start ittl kick back on starter and (yes it is timed right) but itll start great at times and wont start and then start hard
And when it decides to stay running after warmed up it dies going into gear

Maybe computer ? Need help i tried and replaced alot of things that could cause this i just am stumped. Thanks everyone

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
And when sitting idling for a while when it decides to stay running it just dies

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
I need some ideas or input thanks!

And i just can not figure out my truck it ran fine I just did new distributor, cap and rotor new crank cam sensor new plugs wires new coil new aic new tps and map sensor. My fuel pressure is good i have good fuel volume as well.

My truck starts up but dies gotta keep hitting gas too keep it running and sometimes it wont even fire back up or wont start ittl kick back on starter and (yes it is timed right) but itll start great at times and wont start and then start hard
And when it decides to stay running after warmed up it dies going into gear or just dies after idling for awhile

Maybe computer ? Need help i tried and replaced alot of things that could cause this i just am stumped. Thanks everyone

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know much but have you ever replaced the cat? I had a plugged cat once on a car that did the same thing. That's some miles!!!

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
No cat on it

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Cylinder 4 miss fire and bank 1 lean beacsuse i have no o2 sensors because my conveter clogged up so just cut it out while 2 months ago

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
But it also has set like a governor at 2000 rpms it wont go pass that

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

And when it decides to stay running after warmed up it dies going into gear

So it was running fine and then the converter clogged? And it hasn't run good since O2 sensors were removed?

OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Yeah it clogged cut it out and It ran fine for over a week without the o2 it really did ! Just one day i drove it home it died and lost spark fixed that and it ran but not good it either starts good ******** or advanced it has like a 2000rpm governer set as well when it finally decides to idle on its own and dies going into gear

blynch35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im not sure but i would bet if you put that o2 sensor back into the loop it will work it self out, with out it your computer is just making blind changes.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now since you have tried everything else I would try putting the O2 back on and see if it clears up. It is the easiest and cheapest route right now.

If I remember right the front O2 don't really matter but the back one HAS to be there and working.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm not knowledgeable with the 2G, but you need the front O2s to control the AFR. The rear sensor is for emissions. The first week may have been running on adaptive memory and then you made changes that reset the PCM and it now doesn't have any AFR input to run on. Usually in closed loop (warmed up) you need the O2s to run properly and it usually doesn't take a week to sour the tune.

Reactions: CKH
OP
OP
Nik2k

Nik2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Ok thanks everyone i appreciate it !

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

And when it decides to stay running after warmed up it dies going into gear or just dies after idling for awhile

weird,these trucks have the best engines ever built in my opinion...i have the same issues KINDA....when i am cruising and my truck gets down to low speeds it will just die on me or when i am switching from drive to reverse it will die on me,it's a vacuum leak is what i have wrong with mine,but i learned a little trick...when i am driving and my truck gets to the point where its gonna die,i just tap the gas and can come to a complete stop without it dying and she runs fine.runs fine in park as well (idling)