Popping/clunking from steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I just finished in the last few months replacing everything under the front of my 01 ram 4x4 [tie rods, shocks, hubs, ball joints, axle u joints, steering stabilizer, 2 1/2 lift, adjustable track bar] today I noticed a popping sound coming from under the front end when you move the wheel less than a 1/4 turn in either direction. I left the motor running and had my wife move the wheel back and forth to find that the sound is coming from the steering box [I put my hand on it and could feel it when it popped] I watched the shaft [pitman side] and saw no side play or where the steering shaft goes in the box no play either. I'm wondering if any one else has had this type of issue and looking for suggestions as a steering box is a good chunk of change to spend if it could be something else. I have been reading and I'm going to check my bolts on the track bar and it's mounting bracket. I'm running 245/75/16 tires and the steering box has never been adjusted [since I have owned it]. I'm planning on a steering box output shaft stabilizer bracket soon [was gonna order it tonight] but a steering box is more important if need be.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What about the u-joint on the steering shaft?