PTO-How can I tell if truck has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking for a rear drive shaft for my brother in law's 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 regular cab. It has the auto trans with the snow plow package. Every site I see it asks if the truck is equipped with "PTO". How can I tell if his truck has it?

Thanks

Bob

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PTO attachment will be on the transfer case. I'm not sure how they look but I would imagine it comes off of the rear tailshaft housing.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
THe PTO gear is on the planetary gear on the input shaft. The PTO shaft is positioned right next to the input shaft sticking out of the front of the transfer case, it has a removable cover. It is only on the NV241HD transfer case. Neither the NV231LD or NV241LD have it. Look for the markings on the transfer case itself. The PTO option does not change anything related to the output shaft of the transfer case.

OP
OP
RJL1

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Should there be a switch or button somewhere in the cab to activate it? I'm sorry I have no clue of what the PTO is. I take it that it's an option and some google results shows a button on the newer Dodge's to activate the PTO. I have yet to see the pickup in person, he lives 45 minutes or so north of me.

Thanks so far.

Bob

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As far as i'm aware, PTO was only used on upfitter trucks. I've never seen a truck with a bed use PTO from the factory. I don't know where the button would be located.

However, if your trying to find a driveshaft, just look for one for the transfer case model located on the transfer case itself. PTO or not doesn't change anything for the drive shaft or output yokes.

The attached picture shows the location of the tag as viewed from the rear of the vehicle.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 58