re-circulate cabin air... and cabin filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BatteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hey guys,

Did some searching around and got conflicting answers.

As I know our trucks don't haVe a "cabin filter" as some newer cars do. I have really bad allergies where I live during the summer months and I am trying to help my situation.

Is there a place ( a opening or choke point where I can cut and place my own style filter?

How about just recirculating the cabin air? I have not had my truck very long but it appears there isn't an option to re circulate the air as opposed to pulling it from the outside. Or does the air automatically recirculate when the A/C is on?

I would really appreciate any and all help

Thanks

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Defrost is typically recirc and vent is fresh. Don't know about our trucks specifically.
You could mount a filter at the fresh air duct under the cowl

OP
OP
B

BatteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I read this excerpt from this great Web site all about the 2nd Gen ram

Rotating the temperature control beyond its lowest temperature position closed a damper to prevent outside air from entering the passenger compartment but allowed air to be recirculated inside the cab by the fan if desired. This allowed faster cooling in hot weather.

I have obviously had the temp dial to the lowest setting, but I don't recall it going any farther past that. Has anyone had any experience or incite with this?

Thanks

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would probably apply when the vent position is in max a/c and the lowest temp setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BatteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Another piece to the puzzle...

When I turn the temp knob from cold to hot and hot to cold. It seems to catch just before all the way hot. It catches and you have to force it to the hottest position.

I recently took the control unit out and inspected it. (It's the cable version of the unit) what's the possibility what I read is true and the cable is just out of position a little bit?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That could be true although I was sure that the 98s used a vacuum control like the 99s and up. Check out the fsm for specs on the cable dimensions. If you cannot find it in the 01 fsm look in the 94-97

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk