Rear abs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 98 ram half ton with rear abs. The abs module is out and i would like to get rid of abs. The speedometer signal runs through abs module. Has anyone got rid of abs and been able to make speedo work. Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
just goto a junkyard and get the part. The ABS module doesn't just pass the information through, it takes the AC signal from the rear sensor and converts it to something the instrument cluster can understand.

Last edited:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Is there a way around the module? I need my speedo fixed lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
how about you just replace the module? Rigging **** is a good way to **** things up

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I guess I could put it back in without hooking the brake lines to it

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I just took a quick peek at the wiring diagram. It is impossible to bypass or remove the ABS sensor. You can bypass the brake lines sure, but i'm not sure why.
The ABS module is part of the CCD network, it needs to be installed, at least ziptied out of the way.

Still don't know why you don't want ABS, i'm looking at getting the wheel hubs for 4wd abs and putting it all together on my truck with a new abs module. Oddly enough, the passenger side does have the tone ring, but the driver side doesnt.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I hate abs in the snow. Countless times I pressed my brakes and hear the grinding noise as it cut braking power when I need it!! So I removed it and ran the brakes straight. Now if you say I need to have the module plugged in, does it have a computer that has an input and output for my speedo or does it simply plug in for the reading and give an output the same as input? I've ran the truck for a year without the speedo or abs module. Been using GPs speed and I've learned my rpm speed. I believe OD is disabled since the speedo has no output

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I hate abs in the snow. Countless times I pressed my brakes and hear the grinding noise as it cut braking power when I need it!! So I removed it and ran the brakes straight. Now if you say I need to have the module plugged in, does it have a computer that has an input and output for my speedo or does it simply plug in for the reading and give an output the same as input? I've ran the truck for a year without the speedo or abs module. Been using GPs speed and I've learned my rpm speed. I believe OD is disabled since the speedo has no output

There is too much to be put in for me to even want to cover why ABS is better than no ABS, as well as, you aren't looking for a lecture.

The sensor outputs a chopped AC signal. That varies based on combined rear axle speed as well as differential speed between the two axle shafts. The ABS module reads this signal and converts it from analog to a digital signal. It handles the interpretation of wheel slip and subsequent corrective action and also processes vehicle speed. The instrument cluster does not receive a wire pair for every gauge as older systems did. Instead it has connections only for basic functions, like power, lighting, dimmed lighting, and dash lights. the 6 gauges get their information from only two wires. That is the CCD bus, a CAN network provides data from each module to the instrument cluster. Updating 10-25 times per second, each gauge seems to operate simultaneously, but in reality the IC computer only receives one piece at a time. The IC computer then tells each gauge's servo motor which position to goto about 5.5 times per second. This is all smoothed of course, so your oil pressure gauge isn't jumping all over and causing mass panic among owners.

You must have the ABS module plugged in, in order to get your spedo to work. No way around it, period.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Damn. So if I hooked it back up even with the new sensor in rear axle, would it work with both front wheel bearings not having sensors anymore? Or is that only for abs functions.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Damn. So if I hooked it back up even with the new sensor in rear axle, would it work with both front wheel bearings not having sensors anymore? Or is that only for abs functions.

In order to prevent the ABS light from illuminating on the dash, you must plug in whichever ABS connectors that module is designed to read. If you have 4wheel abs but get a module for a rear wheel abs truck, only the rear wheel speed sensor needs to be plugged in. If the module is for 4wheel abs, you must plug in both front sensors as well. Only the brakes that run through the ABS module will have that feature.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
So the abs light will be on but my speedo will work. That's fine by me. I think this truck only had front wheel abs. Rear brake line runs straight to master. When I put timkens up front it was a hundred less on each side for no sensors. Lol

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Not sure what you were seeing, but the Gen 2s had only 4wabs or rwabs. There are no front wheel abs only vehicles in Gen 2 as far as I know.

No, you won't have an abs light I don't believe as long as you plug in all the sensors that that ABS module is expecting.

If you have abs sensors on the front two wheels, then you had 4 wheel abs. In that case, your abs module needs to see input from all four sensors, otherwise it will throw the abs light.

You should be able to bypass the sensor on the brake line side without problem.

If you had 4 wheel abs before, and no longer have the front wheel sensors, you need to get a 2wabs module in order to not see the abs light.

No matter what the abs light says, as long as the rear diff sensor is plugged in to the abs module, and the module is plugged in, there will be spedometer readings.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Not sure what you were seeing, but the Gen 2s had only 4wabs or rwabs. There are no front wheel abs only vehicles in Gen 2 as far as I know.

No, you won't have an abs light I don't believe as long as you plug in all the sensors that that ABS module is expecting.

If you have abs sensors on the front two wheels, then you had 4 wheel abs. In that case, your abs module needs to see input from all four sensors, otherwise it will throw the abs light.

You should be able to bypass the sensor on the brake line side without problem.

If you had 4 wheel abs before, and no longer have the front wheel sensors, you need to get a 2wabs module in order to not see the abs light.

No matter what the abs light says, as long as the rear diff sensor is plugged in to the abs module, and the module is plugged in, there will be spedometer readings.

Guess I remembered wrong on the brake lines then. Cool information. At least I dont have to run more brake line lol.. Too bad it takes up so much room..

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
If you still have the schematic, where does this red/ black wired plug go?

Attachments

• 20160821_151645.jpg
    20160821_151645.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If you still have the schematic, where does this red/ black wired plug go?

I don't think that goes to the ABS system. I looked through the pertinent pages but found no connector with a red and black wire. As for finding what other systems that might goto, i'd have a better chance find its mate by looking through the engine bay myself than looking through the schematics. There are over 400 pages of wiring diagrams, splice locations and various other means of identification. Without knowing from what or to what that is going, its a stab in the dark.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
It is connected to the underside of the ABS module. I'm assuming it gives power because with the other 3 connectors hooked up I'm still only getting my Ebrake light (because I busted it) but no ABS light.

Also check my post in the what did u do thread

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Here's the module.

Attachments

• 20160821_172206.jpg
    20160821_172206.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 37

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
That wire appears to plug in right underneath the larger connector on top. The only picture i've been able to find says thats for the ABS pump motor. If you don't want ABS you might be able to get away with hooking everything up in order and just not plugging that in. If you don't feel like hooking the module back up, do not plug that back in, just seal off the connector with something removable. Also be sure to put a bit of brake fluid into the ABS module ports and seal them off to prevent interior corrosion.

Should you ever want to sell it, very few people even know how to stop without ABS anymore. I've seen not having ABS on trucks be a deciding factor for safety when the buyer plans on moving family with it.

As for your other post, i'm not sure what i'm looking at. I cant place where that is on the vehicle, nor what it connects to. I'd be happy to help if you could provide a little insight into what it connects, from there I can figure out what that wire does.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
The 2 plugs are located on driver side inner wheel fender on the outside under the plastic shrouding. Looks to be the dark gray wire is cut??

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Well I need my speedometer for tuning. No OD sucks with 5.13 gears!! Appears that with the other 3 things plugged in I don't even get an ABS light or anything so something is wrong? Maybe I forgot to check fuse lol but not sure if that also stops speedo.