Rear abs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Well I need my speedometer for tuning. No OD sucks with 5.13 gears!! Appears that with the other 3 things plugged in I don't even get an ABS light or anything so something is wrong? Maybe I forgot to check fuse lol but not sure if that also stops speedo.

If a fuse is blown, then the ABS module won't receive power. I believe that the ABS light will not light if the ABS module has no power, but I may be wrong.

The attached picture is the fuse you are looking for.

Attachments

• ABS fuse.jpg
    ABS fuse.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Well plug was right where I didn't see it. So long as it's plugged in it does nothing but run the pump/motor. Fuse is good. I unplugged that part but still don't even have an abs light.. lol. Still no speedo... ughh

Attachments

• 20160822_125951.jpg
    20160822_125951.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 30

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Did the gauge cluster test good?
When was the last time the ABS module was installed and working?

As for the location of the cut wire, nothing is hanging down on my truck where you describe, perhaps one of the plastic hangars broke and is letting it hang, or it was never put back.
I'd really need to know where at least one of the wires from that connector is going. With that I can figure out what connector number it is and what else is in it. Otherwise i'm flying blind trying to guess what connector might be hanging down based on the text descriptions of locations for the hundreds of connectors on the trucks.

Last edited:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
ABS Module was installed about a year ago and I never had any problems but speedo didn't work then either. When doing some brake lines I removed it. Yes the cluster test was good. Any procedures to check this module? Only thing left is to check wiring from axle to cab buttt it's all wrapped up inside wire wrap or w/e..

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
ABS Module was installed about a year ago and I never had any problems but speedo didn't work then either. When doing some brake lines I removed it. Yes the cluster test was good. Any procedures to check this module? Only thing left is to check wiring from axle to cab buttt it's all wrapped up inside wire wrap or w/e..

Did you get any numbers popping up on the Odometer? If the cluster doesn't receive a vehicle speed message from the PCM it will throw code 920. If it doesnt throw that code, then the spedometer is displaying the vehicle speed as the PCM believes it to be. The PCM gets its vehicle speed directly from the CCD bus from the ABS module.

Since I do not have the $3K tool required to read CCD Bus messages, I have no clue what exactly is communicated between all of the controllers.
Should the IC not be showing any codes, then two things may be bad. Either the ABS module, or the IC itself. I doubt the PCM is bad, otherwise there would be a ton more problems.

I would suspect the ABS module itself over the IC, just because its rare for one to fail and show no indication of doing so other than a spedometer not working.

Based on my understanding of CAN busses, the ABS module is either sending a VSS signal, or the PCM is throwing a code for not receiving one. Have you checked for any codes? It is possible that the ABS module is not testing anything wrong, but is infact not working. The only way to really tell, it to try and force it to operate. Normally all you would have to do is find a large field or dirt road and slam on the brakes until the ABS works, however since you bypassed it, figuring if it will work is a bit more difficult.

You can also inspect the wiring coming from the rear wheel sensor to make sure its not damaged.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
My truck is only throwing a code for a bad 02 but during cluster check it did have a few codes I forgot to write down. I'll check them tomorrow. I really should inspect the wiring...

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
ABS light is on now. Still no speedo... whats easiest way to test wheel speed wire

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
ABS light is on now. Still no speedo... whats easiest way to test wheel speed wire

get a 10ohm resistor and measure it with a multimeter. Unplug the connector from the sensor and put a 10ohm resistor across the connector. Then on the other side of the wire, right off the ABS module (unplug it) look for what that resistor tested for earlier, if its within 5% the wire is good, at least under no load.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Did the gauge cluster test good?
When was the last time the ABS module was installed and working?

As for the location of the cut wire, nothing is hanging down on my truck where you describe, perhaps one of the plastic hangars broke and is letting it hang, or it was never put back.
I'd really need to know where at least one of the wires from that connector is going. With that I can figure out what connector number it is and what else is in it. Otherwise i'm flying blind trying to guess what connector might be hanging down based on the text descriptions of locations for the hundreds of connectors on the trucks.

Well I'll get a decent pic for you soon. Just so rusty and ugly lol

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
So my speedo started working after new brake lines... had a lose wire lol. I currently removed the abs box and use a proportion valve for rear.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Oops delete

Last edited: