rear axle tracking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swed1162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins ho diesel
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 2500 extended cab cummins ho diesel truck that has a rear axle tracking issue. The driver side tire fell off while going around 30 mph., the truck has had a tracking issue since. Can anyone help me correct this problem by telling me what I should do to fix it ,and how to go about it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Ed

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm guessing that either the lugs came off or the bearing just crapped out. In either case, it needs to be aligned, especially after a collision with the pavement. One possibility is that the axle shifted forwards or backwards during the accident, that would cause tracking problems. If a component on the axle was bent, that would cause tracking issues. I doubt any damage has occurred to the leaf springs or axle tubes, they are pretty strong. But if it fell on the drum, or components under the drum if the drum fell off too, the bearings could have been damaged and the race may have shifted.

I don't think the 2500s had a full-floating axle, I think they were just semi-floating. Not a ton that will cause that, at least not at 30mph. It start by taking it in to get aligned, they will be able to tell you if it can be fixed easily or not.

OP
OP
S

swed1162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins ho diesel
thanks

Thanks Dude for your imput. I failed to mention that it is a disc brake rear. The impact with the road did break the mount that holds the caliper mounting bracket, but I was able to weld that as the part is no longer available. It doesn't seem to be a bearing issue as everything turns freely and smoothly. I'm going to make a few measurements from the front axle back to see which way it is turned. If you follow behind the truck as it goes down the road it looks as though the axle is shifted to the right side. I am going to drop the axle and check to make sure the centering bolts are not bent or broken. Have to start somewhere. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

swed1162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins ho diesel
Yes it is full float, it is a Dana 80 axle as all 2500 diesel manual transmission models use. The 2001 HO was only available with the 6 speed manual. If anyone else has any ideas of how to correct my issue I would appreciate it.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
This may be a long shot, but its possible you bent either the leaf spring hanger or the leaf spring shackle, or either of their mounts. I would look at the shackle first seeing as its easier to replace.

OP
OP
S

swed1162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins ho diesel
Lugs came loose. Don't know if place that put tire on didn't tighten enough,or they worked loose.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Lugs came loose. Don't know if place that put tire on didn't tighten enough,or they worked loose.

I've never had a lug come off a tire i've put on. I usually hit it to spec on cars with a torque wrench, trucks and semis are a different story. Trucks get snugged with an impact, then another 2-3 seconds on each lug after. Semis get torque checked with a proper wrench after getting hit with a 1in impact on the steer tires, rear axles get the same treatment as a truck, just with a 1in gun.

I dont trust the lugs on cars to stand up to the abuse of an impact, not how I do it at least.

Those lugs should never have come off if they were properly torqued, and I do mean opposites (star pattern, but works on hubs with more than 5 lugs), even when using an impact. They screwed you, unfortunately, no one can prove it.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wheels falling off due to undertorqued lugs is one somewhat common issue that I'm never going to understand. Even if a shop didn't have an impact gun (and what the hell kind of shop doesn't?) It takes all of like two minutes to spin the lugs on with a four-way and then finish with a torque wrench. Hell, I personally even stage my torque just because I'm OCD with torquing stuff. I'm happy to say that I've never lost a wheel on my or anyone else's vehicle.

If you fail to properly torque lug nuts on a wheel and it falls off especially at high speed, you should be banned from ever setting hand on an automotive tool again.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Wheels falling off due to undertorqued lugs is one somewhat common issue that I'm never going to understand. Even if a shop didn't have an impact gun (and what the hell kind of shop doesn't?) It takes all of like two minutes to spin the lugs on with a four-way and then finish with a torque wrench. Hell, I personally even stage my torque just because I'm OCD with torquing stuff. I'm happy to say that I've never lost a wheel on my or anyone else's vehicle.

If you fail to properly torque lug nuts on a wheel and it falls off especially at high speed, you should be banned from ever setting hand on an automotive tool again.

Wow fast to bash, **** happens in shops, no one is perfect at there job all the time. Most tire shops up here offer a free retq after 100km and it's your responsibility to get it back to have them tq'd or do it yourself. Drivers have responsibility as well for there vehicle, don't bash a tech so fast.