rear end clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Sometimes when coasting I hear a rhythmic clunking and rattling almost like a box being rotated and a metal ball falling to the bottom of the box with each turn. It isn't dependant on a bumpy road, though that seems to start it a lot. I have brand new swaybar links, and can't see anything loose in the back end. I'm thinking it is either in the diff, driveshaft, or axles. Anyone come across this before? 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4 with about 315,000km. Tranny was rebuilt at 300,000km according to last owner. And anyone know a good site to order tose sorts of parts in Canada?

OP
OP
A

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Another way to describe the sound would be as if the driveshaft were flopping and banging on an incredibly sloppy ujoint... Except the ujoint all look fine and the driveshaft has almost no play in it when stopped.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you checked the fluid level in the axle to make sure it is where it should be? rockauto sometimes has the parts needed and the prices are usually pretty reasonable

OP
OP
A

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Fluid level is my next check, but the noise is very Tin-ie, almost like a driveshaft hitting a heat shield, but it's not that. I just lifted the back end and spun the rear wheels by hand. They felt smooth, with no grinding or clunking... The rear caliber were loose when I bought it, but had those fixed right away, so that shouldn't be an issue...

OP
OP
A

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The noise is also intermittent, and hitting the brakes doesn't stop it. I would assume a fluid level issue would be constant? I don't recall hearing it at high speed much either, mostly around 40-60kmh

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know if it would be consistent. only time i have been low on fluid the clunk it made it sounds like a bad universal joint and would really only be notable when putting it into reverse or into gear.

OP
OP
A

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
This noise happens only while moving, mostly after hitting bumps, but sometimes on fairly flat road with maybe road cracks at most as well. Maybe its rear shocks? I can't see oil leaking from them anywhere, but they do have 315,000km on em...

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Replace your drive shaft u joints. Start there cause they arent very expensive parts to begin with. My vibration was cause by bad u joints and it went away completly

OP
OP
A

Axioner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I think im stuck taking it in to a shop tomorrow... I commute for work so if it is an axle or diff issue, it need to be fixed before it gets worse. It was in there when I bought it just before Christmas, and they said the ujoints were all good...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Get soe kids to jump up and down on teh thing, whiile you are underneath it. Listen for the clunks, without motor or anything turning, to eliminate suspensions or other sources.

If no issues found, put the thing on jack stands or a lift and fire it up, engage tranny and see if driveline is clunking.

let us know what you find.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this issue with one of my trucks before, I had lsd, I swapped fluid and added friction modifier, went away. Mine was mostly in reverse but bumps occasionally done it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452