Rear end coilover conversions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay... So I was looking into getting new leafs when my dad suggested the idea of coilovers. I've searched a little bit online, but haven't turned up anything useful. SOOOOO... Is there any conversion kits available for the rear end of my 1500 4x4? Everything I've seen is for a 4x2 truck... My ass end sags down about an inch or so, most likely from hauling trailers before I bought it.. Any one of you's got an idear? Any help would be much appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387679979.338871.jpg
You can see here how much it squats.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Danny at Dodgeoffroad has developed a complete coil over replacement for 2nd gens but after you see the price, I'm pretty sure you'll likely decide to replace the leaf packs or do something else.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
430 to re-arch the springs, now I don't know entirely what you have planned but I've seen new springs for less than that. Was looking into replacing mine on my 01.

1994 - 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 leaf springs

Out of curiosity can someone explain why the 4x4 springs are cheaper than the 4x2 springs

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have thought about. 4 linking my rear running air bags or coil springs. The pros if done right better traction any terrain cons times it take to build and cost. Depending on what style you choose. Most expensive triangular 4 link rod ends aint cheap a 5 link will be cheaper its the same setup as front end the fifth link is a track bar can use bushings instead of rod ends cheapest coil overs are foa

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
430 to re-arch the springs, now I don't know entirely what you have planned but I've seen new springs for less than that. Was looking into replacing mine on my 01.

1994 - 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 leaf springs

Out of curiosity can someone explain why the 4x4 springs are cheaper than the 4x2 springs

Well hot damn... I think I'm gonna order them now and throw them on myself lol Then save the old ones as add a leafs. Haha. They had some kind of repair plate, then rearching the springs plus labor.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
cool, then I'll let you be the guinea pig, let me know how much a pain it is to replace them lol.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shouldn't be too bad since I just had the shackles replaced a couple months ago. Only ones that'll be a pain are the front bolt on them, that hasn't been touched. But an acetylene torch and a welder are my best friend lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Danny at Dodgeoffroad has developed a complete coil over replacement for 2nd gens but after you see the price, I'm pretty sure you'll likely decide to replace the leaf packs or do something else.

I went looking for this kit and could not find it do you have a link for it by chance.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Shouldn't be too bad since I just had the shackles replaced a couple months ago. Only ones that'll be a pain are the front bolt on them, that hasn't been touched. But an acetylene torch and a welder are my best friend lol

Just a tip you will have to move the gas tank to get to the front bolt on that side of the truck.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a tip you will have to move the gas tank to get to the front bolt on that side of the truck.

Thank for the advice, I didn't even think of that. It's gotta come out anyways, I somehow stuffed mud in between the straps and the tank.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.

Well if its going to require a welder it would be beyond my ability, I don't have that kind of equipment unfortunately, lol hopefully it doesn't come down to that though.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Thank for the advice, I didn't even think of that. It's gotta come out anyways, I somehow stuffed mud in between the straps and the tank.

Some might say just loosen off the straps and you can get your hand in there, maybe if you have girl hands. I found it just as easy to drop it right out of my way until the whole job was done.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I was hoping he would go with the 5 link so i could steal some ideas guess ill have to pave my own road

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ All you have to do is search the other forums, this has been done before. Most were dedicated off-road trucks, not DD trucks.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have plans of running triangular four links with poly bushings im afraid heim joints would rust out and pit it wont be the first four link i have done. My suspension bushings are shot all the way round my truck it will be cheaper to re 4 link the front and install a coil spring setup on the back. My leaf spring are also shot.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have plans of running triangular four links with poly bushings im afraid heim joints would rust out and pit it wont be the first four link i have done. My suspension bushings are shot all the way round my truck it will be cheaper to re 4 link the front and install a coil spring setup on the back. My leaf spring are also shot.

I look forward to seeing your build thread. When do you plan on starting this work? Pix of your other work?

Last edited:

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I hoping soon butt wife is pregnant with my third child. Dom tubing is the most expensive part ill post pics

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RockAuto is my savior. Ended up going with a new leaf pack, that can hold 2025 lbs a piece. At $125 a pop, I'm not gonna complain. Now comes the pain in the balls of installing them. Lol thanks for the help everyone

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Post some pics of your work, really interested to see how this turns out.