Rear End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cooper481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have an 02 2500 4x4 with the 360. I've noticed ever since I've had it, that when your backing up slow and are turning left or right while doing so, that there is kind of a popping noise coming from the rear end.... somewhere. I've had my dad back there listening and looking while backing up and you can hear and feel it from both sides, and if you watch the wheel closely, you can see it move with the noise, if you get what I'm saying lol. It never does is if your backing up in a straight line, and it doesn't seem to do it as bad going forward. I've checked the axle shafts bolts to make sure they're tight. I've checked the axle hub nuts to make sure they're tight. I guess I'm to the point of pulling the diff cover off and checking in there, just want to see of anyone else has any opinions before I do. Thanks

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sounds like a limited slip diff. Maybe a fluid change with the limited slip additive is in order.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pop the diff cover. Sounds like limited slip going bye bye or problems with the spider gears in an open diff

OP
OP
C

Cooper481

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This weekend when I get some time I'm gonna pull the cover off and do some looking. If I don't find anything, I guess I'll put some additive in it and run it for a while and see if that helps. Thanks