Reman Valve Body Now won't SHIFT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, I had a problem where my overdrive broke and broke my drive shaft too. Replaced everything that broke up even the valve body, and now the transmission won't shift out of 1st gear. All fuses are good. Not sure what else to check? Thanks ahead of time!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
When you replaced everything, did you properly service the bands?
Also, if the valve body was dropped and not filled prior to install (not an easy thing to do) it can take quite a while to refill everything. Last time I dropped mine, it took nearly 10 miles to get out of first.

Just take your truck at idle and keep switching between reverse, neutral and all the drive gears. Do this for 5 minutes at idle then again under light throttle. Then take it for some slow drives, and every now and then give it some gas, but let right back off after a second. It might take awhile, but eventually all the air will be expelled from the solenoids and pressure reservoirs and normal operation will resume. I strongly suggest adjusting the bands after this procedure to ensure proper operation.

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Yes I adj. both bands per the manual. I will try what you wrote. Don't recall the manual about filling the valve body? Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, tried what you told me with NO Luck! Scaned truck and found a code for solenoid bad, so I ordered one off the net. I will put it in when it comes, I sure hope that the solenoid cures my problem.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
That would do it. Also, make sure the case connector on top is completely plugged in.

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, After solenoid install trans. shifts normal. Thanks!!!