Remote Start/ Key-less entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So ive been shopping around for a good combo remote start/entry system. It is a mixed bag as far as compatibility and quality. So I was wondering if anyone here has installed an aftermarket system and what their thoughts are as far as reliable brands, features, etc.

any and all opinions are appreciated.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've got no experience with aftermarket RKE systems, but I will share this. Only get the system with the minimum features you need, don't bother with all that 'super ultra programable, will make you coffee' one. The more things it claims to do, the more likely that it doesn none of them well. A simple system that supports a few fobs, locks and unlocks, horn chirp if you want it, and panic if you want it. I wouldn't bother with anything else as its just asking for trouble. I've seen RKE systems that boast bluetooth unlocking and engine lockout, they are ****. Why pull out your phone if you have to take your keys out to start it anyway. I wouldn't trust those things to interact with the PCM or ASD relay at all, too much chance for something to break.

OP
OP
Meatball12

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. I'm only looking for remote start and unlock/lock. Yet most of the packages I come across have the panic button and trunk pop(super useful....). I don't want any of that BS.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know about the kits you have been looking at but i think some of the kits with a trunk release or option button can also be used to control a 2nd remote starter from the same band. i am pretty sure i read that in the manual for the prostart brand one i got. i would recommend a prostart brand one but from the looks of it might sold in Canada only. the only issue i have ever had with the remote start i have is that it will occasionally shut off my RC a couple times in a row after the first time i use it sometimes. i am pretty sure this is because i am relying on the virtual tach instead of cutting into the coil wire to get a tach signal.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
having one installed next saturday.all i want it to do is start my truck and defrost/heat it while i'm getting ready to head out to work.i don't even know what brand it is but it's just under $200 installed with my factory fob.my wife just had the mazda factory one installed on her mx5.shuts off after 10 mins or you open the door.cost me $600 for that one.