retreads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I thought this thread said ******* lol.

I've never heard of anyone running them on anything other than 18-wheelers but here's a free bump for ya

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
HAHAHA! So did I Mark! I havent tho, hope someone will chime in for ya.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Dam , I thought this also was about special people ..LOL WTF

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I don't see them being cheap. By the time you pay shipping & paying to get them mounted & balanced what do you save over a new tire?

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
600 shipped for these, and my **** cepeks were around 1000 shipped. I can mount and balance them myself so that is way cheaper.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I say go for it .. 600 is a good price

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My brother got a set of 31x10.5x15 warden for his cherokee when he had it. They were actually really nice.
You have just as much of a chance of blowing out a new tire as a retread. Actually maybe even a better chance of a new tire since retreads have a higher standard to pass. As with any tire proper inflation is huge!
The guy who mounted his didnt even notice they were retreads and was really confused why my brother was asking if it took alot of weight to blance them.
I say go for it but I would probably skip the kedge. I dont think it was worth it. His did great in the snow without it, even when we had 38" of snow fall in 12 hours

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'm gonna skip the kedge as I don't trust a product designed to rip out of my tires.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a pretty interesting quick read: http://www.retread.org/resource/resmgr/docs/mythbusting.pdf

My brother did some research/test while he was finishing his Mechanical Eng. degree at Pitt (also has a degree and physics) and he found the same thing. I dont remember what the actual test consisted of just remember talking to him about it

I have read those and have seen it before. I also had a very good friend that almost lost his 2 older brothers because of a re-tread failure on there car about 20 years ago. I still remember seeing what was left of the car. That is enough for me to never use re-treads

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have not seen or personally heard of anyone using retreads. I have seen on forums people getting them and liking them though

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have read those and have seen it before. I also had a very good friend that almost lost his 2 older brothers because of a re-tread failure on there car about 20 years ago. I still remember seeing what was left of the car. That is enough for me to never use re-treads

Very reasonable

SMITHY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Engine
4.7 Magnum
If you do decide to get them, ask them for the same casings all the way around, othewise you could end up with one saying Bridgestone, Yokohama, Cooper and Michelin.

I think that would be really dumb looking IMHO.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only thing I don't like about retreads is you have no idea how the previous tires where treated. IE if they were run under inflated their whole lives and are going to throw a belt.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
This is a pretty interesting quick read: http://www.retread.org/resource/resmgr/docs/mythbusting.pdf

My brother did some research/test while he was finishing his Mechanical Eng. degree at Pitt (also has a degree and physics) and he found the same thing. I dont remember what the actual test consisted of just remember talking to him about it[/QUOTE

That is an interesting read. Yea lots of pros & cons on the subject. I remember in the 50s & 60s retreads were used. I think most the cons come from years past. If you do get them please give us updates from time to time on how they are working out.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i bought tires from treadwrite a couple yrs ago for a beater toyota. they held up great. balanced real well.took very little weight. i would buy them again. my boy put about 15k on them. tires werent hardly even wore. got the ones that looked like bfg all terrain tread. it was mostly a offroad truck. then the motor blew up and we junked it. i just asked them to match all 4 carcasses. most people didnt even know they werent bfg's. thats what the carcasses were. recaps are alot better product then what they were 20yrs ago. they were 31/10.50/15.

Last edited:

discojables

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They won't be brand new. You might not get that sweet aroma of new tire. But hey... to each his own.