In search of better brakes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
So I have a 96 short bed 2wd reg cab, I would like stronger brakes. I have heard that the 2001 trucks came with 2 piston front calipers, my truck has single piston calipers. Also heard that the 2001 trucks had rear disc brakes, my truck drum brakes. Any truth to this. Or are there aftermarket kits available?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Most Gen 2 trucks 01s included have rear drum brakes, but a few have 4 wheel disk (I think its only the 2500/3500 though, or maybe just the dualies?).

However the 01s do have 2 piston calipers. You can get slightly better braking with the 01 front calipers, but don't bother trying to swap parts on the drums, its just too much hassle for very little gain.

A lot of performance is going to come from the type of brake pads. If you want straight performance, semi-metallic is a must. Sure organic is low dust and cheap, but they cant take any heat before losing stopping power. Ceramic pads are nice and quiet, produce little dust and are easy on your rotors, but they cant take heat either. Semi-metalic pads will eat away at your rotors faster than any other type of pad, but you can get formulations for light city driving through heavy duty towing use.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you had a 4x4 I'd suggest 2500LD brakes. But, being 2WD it makes it a bit harder. If you WANT to go through the work, go ahead and get the knuckles and what not for a 2000-2001 Ram 4x2. It SHOULD work, but you might run into issues with ball joint fitment.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
dodge dude had a good suggestion, but if you do decide to get pads check out hawk performance brake pads.

Bleed the lines, change the fluid, look into rotors as well. Drums aren't all that bad and since your braking is done up front, give them the most attention.