shifting issue 47E tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have a 98 12valve 3500 dually with the 47E transmission. when I first started the truck it holds first gear to long before shifting into second. I recently replaced the governor and shift sensor inside the tranny. should I also replace the small unit with the leads that plug into the them? it also seems to want to down shift when getting on the high way. it seems confused at about 50mph when accelerating. hoping it's not rebuild time fluids didn't look to bad and I changed the filter also. currently at 142,000 miles.

thanks, andy

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Check your Kickdown/Throttle Valve cable. It may be too tight. I would then check your fluid level. Park on a level surface, engage your emergency brake, and check the fluid level in neutral. If both or fine, then move on to the more expensive things.

Also, the transmission may hold gears a little longer than normal when it's cold.