Speedometer wants to speed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swoosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hello all!

First question post though I have used this forum many times for research info.

Truck Specs: 95 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd 5.2L

I have an odd Speedometer problem. My speedometer wants to read a little over twice as fast as actual speed. Most people issues seem to be that when they have an issue with their speedometer they will not work at all. Well, mine has a lead foot. If I am going 55mph (actual speed) it will be reading over 110mph. It worked fine until a few days ago. No other lights on the dash. Swapped the rear diff. sensor about six months ago to fix an ABS light issue. After the swap the ABS issue was resolved and everything was fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mag V10,Mag V8
Gotta use your Noggin...should have run that truck up to 70+ highway speed...then snapped a pic!!!Woah....140 MPH!!!

OP
OP
S

Swoosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I wanted to post an update for everyone. Maybe it will help someone in the future.

I finally got around to getting this fixed. I looked at trans speed sensor / vehicle speed sensor as suggested but after doing more reading elsewhere online and in this forum I decided that my symptoms were not like most others. The trans speed sensor issue almost always presented with erratic (up and down) movement of the speedometer while maintaining a steady speed. Mine would read any about 80% faster than I was really going yet return to 0mph at stop. Anyway, I found one post suggesting that it was the readers speedometer motor / actuator in the dash itself. Made sense to me and I ordered one up.

Long story short this fixed my problem. New instrument cluster installed and my speed is back to normal. I did a blue LED light mod while I was in there and it looks cool!

Thanks for all your help!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Awesome job fixing your truck and updating your post! I didn't even think of that. Those things fail so rarely that I forget you can even change them