Starting the Plenum.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm starting the plenum today and thinking now is the time to add the trans cooler. Is this Hayden what I need?
Premium Tube and Fin Cooler Heavy Duty; Size - 10 x 15 7/8
Trans%20Cooler_zpstsc0mym2.jpg

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That'll work great. Mounting is a pain in the ass bit it'll cool pretty well. Since i have no ac I'm re-purposing my condenser this weekend for trans cooling

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I'll order it.

Also, I just pulled the intake bolts. Broke the front 2...#@%$. Does the distributor just come off with the keg or do I need to pull that first? Confused by the few write-ups I've found.

Never mind. Guess it stays put.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks for the reply. I'll order it.

Also, I just pulled the intake bolts. Broke the front 2...#@%$. Does the distributor just come off with the keg or do I need to pull that first? Confused by the few write-ups I've found.

Never mind. Guess it stays put.

Did you break the front two corners?

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Looks like the gasket failed there at both sides causing a coolant leak and corroding the bolts. Looks like I'll get the right side out in time but the left is in bad shape.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Yes. Looks like the gasket failed there at both sides causing a coolant leak and corroding the bolts. Looks like I'll get the right side out in time but the left is in bad shape.

Yeah when the gasket fails the coolant tends to pool up at the corners. Try vice grips first. If that dont work go with plan B. Your lucky its the front corners and not the back corners lol

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha! I don't feel lucky but you are so right. Being it's the front is the only thing that gives me hope of extraction or drilling and tapping.

When it comes time, do I use RTV or not? Currently leaning towards black RTV on the pan gasket and fore and aft intake corners (Corners per the manual). And nothing on intake to head gaskets. Thoughts?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nothing on pan gasket, nothing on manifold to head gaskets, 1/4" bead on each corner of the front and rear block gaskets

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's the pic. The right side snapped off just under the bolt head so plenty there to grab. The left side (truck left) is a bit shorter. Thinking I don't want to dork it up with a visegrip so maybe weld a nut onto it from the start. PB Blaster soak since yesterday and will go overnight again before trying. Any other ideas feel free to share.

Resized_20160420_083401_zps3jkfilmg.jpg

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heat the corner of the head with a torch and then unwind the bolt. Get the head red hot first. Practice on the right one first.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Heat the corner of the head with a torch and then unwind the bolt. Get the head red hot first. Practice on the right one first.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

:roflsquared: I don't see that being a good idea. Heat, sure. But a red hot head?

Wait.... hot head is good. Heat er up. :naughty:

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. Gottem' both out today. Heat with the propane torch seemed insufficient. I welded a nut on top of one bolt stud. That weld broke easily but vicegrips on the stud got it done. The second would not budge with grips so I welded another nut on that. No luck with a wrench on the nut so I put the hammer drill on it and a little back and forth and bingo. Thinking the smokin' hot heat from the welding did the trick.
No sign that PB Blaster got through to the threads even after 48 hours of soaking.
RIP Prince. You were a great local boy.