steering gearbox upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike2me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 - 5.2L V8
Has anyone upgraded the gearbox on a second gen to something different?

I have a half-ton truck and my gearbox has a lot of play, instead of rebuilding it I was contemplating upgrading with oe from a 1-ton or possibly something aftermarket if it is a reasonable price. Can anyone give me any input on pros-cons for an upgrade over stock, I know the gearing is different but is the 1-ton any stronger (harder to break/take more of a beating while wheeling).

Currently my truck has 35s i probably wouldnt go bigger but if i do ill only run 37s max. Right now my truck has the stock tie rod/drag link but in the coming months I plan on upgrading to a new setup built out of heavy gauge dom and 1 ton ends.

Rebuilding costs about $30
oe 1/2 ton and 1 ton both cost the same around $120 depending on manuf.
borgenson gearbox is $400 (more than i wanted to spend)

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I know Redhead rebuilds and upgrades Dodge boxes. Have heard rumors of quality issues(none recently).
Might check them out.
After you've installed your 3rd or 4rth cheapie reman you'll wish you'd have bought the good stuff, even if they exchange them. Your time has to be worth something.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
On my second gen I upgraded to a redhead gear box and loved it. Match it with a steering box brace! Can not stress that enough. Also look at PSC, I have their upgraded gear box in my 3rd gen and love it! Cant miss with either one. One thing I like with PSC is that I had them add ports for hydro assist steering. Then they plugged them for me. So I have them ready when im ready. At any time I can add assisted steering off my existing PSC gearbox. Again very happy with both, but get a gear box brace.

OP
OP
M

mike2me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 - 5.2L V8
do you have the brace that ties the frame rails and the shaft together or the dor style brace (so far the only steering brace i have seen that is different)

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
dont know what dor style brace is. On both my truck and every truck I every buy will get a gear box brace(ties the frame rails to the bottom gearbox shaft).