Steering stabilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thuffner3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
What prevents me from using a standard shock for a dual stabilizer set up?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Stabilizers and shocks aren't the same thing. Take a shock absorber off and it extends and requires force to depress but without constant force it will spring back. Stabilizers will depress if you push on em and will not spring back. They stay where they're left.

Nothings preventing you from running dual stabilizers except your pocket book screaming "don't waste me". All they do is hide issues, single is more than enough

OP
OP
T

thuffner3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I understand that, my thinking was cheaper shocks acting in oposite directions would work as well as if not better than one expensive stabilizer?
Thanks for the input. Absolutely.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would think the force required to compress them would put quite a bit more wear on the steering gearbox

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've seen people build such things for their jeeps, but that's usually for serious offroading, i'm talking hill and rock climbing. I'm not sure what the real benefit to a pickup truck would be.

If you want to set it up, you'd use a setup similar to a center tap rack and pinion. both shocks would be anchored to the frame via a ball joint setup. I've seen what look like ball joint shocks, but it might just be a good retrofit. Either way, you'll need to anchor the other end of each shock to the center link between the pitman and idler arm. With the steering centered the shocks should be at half extension. To size the shocks, you'll need to measure the horizontal travel of the center link then add 1 inch to account for extra travel to cover the extra possible travel from certain mounting locations to the center link.

This is what I remember from looking at my buddies old jeep after he cobbled together a steering stabilizer from parts from a junker sitting behind his barn.

One of the important differences I noticed after taking his jeep for a spin, it takes a while to turn unless you work really hard. It almost feels like driving a car without power steering, especially at low speeds and when stopped. In his case, the jeep isn't his daily driver, he puts it on a trailer and tows it with his pickup out to various off road trails.