And still, weak heat...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so I have put in a 195° thermostat,
I have back flushed the heater core,
I have reversed the hoses,
I put a different (used) radiator in because the old one had a pinhole leak,
I'm getting heat from both heater hoses so it's not plugged
I burped the cooling system and am reasonably certain I have gotten the air out.
I can hear the door opening and closing when I switch from defrost to floor, etc
When I switch from heat to AC, the temperature changes so it's not the actuator

Still I get only lukewarm heat. SLIGHTLY better than it was, but still nowhere near enough to stand up to an Indiana winter. I am just at a loss here. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them.

Thanks!

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hmm try taking your rad cap off and once the truck is up to temp hold it at 1,700-2,000 for around 8-10 minutes to try and bleed any access air out. I had that problem awhile back and what fixed it was trying to bleed it out twice and driving at WOT up an incline. Keep me updated.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or. . .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448775025.124090.jpg
Seriously at this point if the water pump hasn't been replaced that should be the only thing left.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You say you "burped the air put of it". How did you get the air out? Also if you're running it and luke warm air is coming out of the vent try raising the RPMs to about 2k and see if the heat gets better. If it does get warmer when you raise the idle then you better "burp" more air out because that's your problem. If it stays luke warm with the idle up then you may still have a clogged heater core or a bad used radiator. Also check the temp control switch, make sure it's all the way to hot. You may have to get the switch out and check the resistance on the back side of the switch.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I had trouble burping my LHS, and what worked for me was the incline thing mentioned before.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
one more thing, did the new thermostat have a bleed hole built into the flange? if not, either drill your own, or replace it with a better quality one with a bleed hole already in it. this may sound stupid to some people, but are you sure the thermostat is right side up? i had an Intrepid with cooling issues, and it turned out some bone head installed the tstat backwards.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I've got a stuck blend door myself - you can hear it MOVING, but it don't move ENOUGH! Is the fact it's NOT "stuck," visually confirmed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963