ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I have a 1996 ram 1500 with the 5.9 in it. I bought the truck at 140k miles and so far i have had excellent luck with it just changing the oil regularly. so far ive only replaced the brake pads and tires once. Now that im at 195k miles there is some real issues creeping up. First off the rear main seal is leaking. Every oil change they are sure to remind me. The next few problems are that the power steering pump is leaking fluid and that the motor has a tick at between 1500 - 2100 rpm when accelerating and before its warmed up. Ive done some reading on here and google and it most likely sounds like its the lifters, but i am worried it could be rod knock. Is there a definite way to tell before doing any real work on the engine? Im thinking since im basically going to be taking apart the top end of the engine that while im at it i should replace quite a few things such as timing chain, water pump, lifters, gaskets, cap and rotor & plug wires but my main worry is that its not the lifters at all and might be rod knock. That would make my tune-up pointless. Any input?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Start with running Mopar Combustion Cleaner or distilled water through. Being a specific RPM like that it's probably carbon buildup. Tick is still probably there higher up but the engine drowns it out. I wouldn't suspect something ****** just yet

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'll share some experience, if its rod knock, it will tell you. By throwing the rod, or at the very least blowing up in a less spectacular way. When rod bearings go, they go hard and fast, there is little warning, you won't go more than 20 miles max with bad rod bearings before you spin them.

It's lifter tick, and possibly your idler pulley bearing starting to go, mine has been ticking for the past year. I also had a particularly loud valvetrain, in my case it was as simple as adjusting the valve lash, its still there, but not nearly as bad.

If you are going to be redoing the upper, might as well do the plenum as well. Cap and rotor are good ones, lifters, plugs, wires, whatever else floats your boat, just dont forget the damn plenum, you'll kick yourself later.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The fact that you say the ticking sound is before it is warmed up make me think it could be a leak at the exhaust manifold. I have one broken bolt on the rear of the passenger side manifold and it makes a ticking sound until it warms up.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Rod knock often stops if you disconnect that cylinder's plug wire. Good luck.