Torque Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Got the Torque app the other day on my Droid X. Have the phone mounted to my car dock running Torque, music and charging the phone all at the same time. Now for the review:
1. Awesome heads up display
2. Many choices of info to pull out of ECU
3. Very accurate readings
4. Haven't tried it yet but you can check codes and wipe them clean
5. OBD2 adaptor off ebay is just as good as the $100 ones imo
6. Different choices of themes to choose from ( I have the carbon fiber )
7. 0-60 timings and 1/4 mile times instantly
8. Stays up to date automatically
9. Does like to drain battery, but what do you expect lol just keep it plugged in charging
10. Very awesome price of only $4.95 for app

Would I recomend it? YES!!!
This is a must have. It is probably the best thing I've done to my truck and so far no regrets.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Did a 0-60, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile run on it today.

0-60: 13.5s
1/8: 13.5ss
1/4: 18.0s

I need some performance upgrades...

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My programmer does all that and it only cost me $600.... :D

Good review. I didn't know they had such an app. You can't beat it for $5 sounds like. I bet there will be more apps like this to come that will allow you to do more things.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Ok, I went back and watched through that video that weedahoe made. I gotta admit that's a pretty cool setup, OBD2 adapter sends through bluetooth. I figured there would be a delay on the readings that way, but man his looks like it's right on. Other than not having tunes to install, that app does everything my programmer does, only costs way less.

The reason it runs your battery down faster is probably because 1) bluetooth zaps he battery faster, and 2) the screen stays lighted up a lot so that drains the batter faster too. Sounds like your setup with a charging cable is the way to go.

I checked the iPhone market... I don't see an app like that for us yet. Boo

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I love the app! Just get rid of the iPhone and get a Droid :D

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Haha no. I love my iPhone 4.

Besides I have the Diablo Trinity. I'm already getting this info. But this is definitely a cheaper route that still gets you a ton of data about your truck.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my obd2 bluetooth dongle is on its way :)

BAMA BOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liters of fire breathing fury!
I have the DROID x2 can you post a link of this bluetooth thing it sounds badass

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Works well huh!!??!? And my 4x4 only does it in 12 or so. So 13 and too far off.

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How can I tell that?

Take off your air cleaner, crack the TB blades and look down into the manifold, you will most likely see oil pooled up.

For some reason, Dodge used two different metals in the intake manifold. The manifold itself is cast aluminum, and the plenum belly plate is stamped steel. As you can tell, the two metals will expand and contract at different temperatures. Also, the bolts that secure the plate to the plenum are too long from the factory and cannot be torqued down correctly to give a proper seal. Overtime the gasket between the plenum plate and the manifold will rupture and cause oil to be sucked down into the combustion chamber, where it will burn, effectively lowering the octane level of your fuel.

The simple fix for Dodge was just to retard the timing instead of actually fixing the problem.

Starting in 1998, any OBD2 Dodge truck that came back to the dealer for service, would have its' PCM flashed. Basically, the dealer would retard the timing to reduce spark knock caused By oil consumption from the leaking plenum gasket. In 2001, all pickups came standard with the "death flash". I am not sure of the correct wording, but there is usually a sticker on your PCM under the hood that will state if it has been flashed or not. It might not even have the sticker since it came with the death flash from the factory.

You have a RC/SB 2wd with a 318, that 0-60 time should be much lower. 10 seconds at the most.

My 318 will do 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, and mine isn't even mildly modded.

-SCT Tuned
-50MM Ported and Polished TB
-S&B CAI
-Magnaflow cat and muffler

Any hand held programmer will rid the PCM of the death flash, however, the SCT tuners from HemiFever are where its at when it comes to a 2nd gen. It has been noted by several people who have switched from superchips to SCT that the 93 tune on the superchips is even less aggressive than the 87 tune on the SCT.

Goodluck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
So could I just take it up to a dealer and have them flash the pcm? The death flash is what lowers the performance right? And if I do get it flashed, will the pinging come back again?

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So could I just take it up to a dealer and have them flash the pcm? The death flash is what lowers the performance right? And if I do get it flashed, will the pinging come back again?

That won't do anything, the dealer will only install the death flash, not remove it.

Only way to get rid of the death flash is to use a hand held programmer, or send your PCM out to get flashed by B&G.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
So what if I don't get it flashed but replaced the plenum, think that would still help fix the problem?

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what if I don't get it flashed but replaced the plenum, think that would still help fix the problem?

It would help with oil consumption and the longevity of your motor, but it won't really "boost" performance.

Like I said, the only way you can get rid of the death flash is by using a hand held programmer, or sending your PCM out to B&G. However, you shouldn't get a tuner before fixing the plenum gasket, otherwise you could cause severe detonation.

Essentially you must fix the plenum before you can install a more aggressive tune on your PCM.

The death flash is just a safety precaution, it keeps your motor from pinging under acceleration. If you were to tune it while having a plenum leak, it wouldn't end up well in the long run.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got my OBDII adapter but when i hook it up to my ECU it flashes a few times but doesnt fully connect...did you have this problem at first?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye