tranny fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what type of fluid and filter or filters has eveyone been using in there ram?Is there any other things that can be checked or replaced once pan is off?want to do full tranny service,any advise?know that i will be installing drain plug to help out in future with draining pan.
2000 laramie 1500 5.9 4x4

OP
OP
D

dirtracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
need some info on how to adjust the bands and is tail shaft seal easily replaced? thank you if anyone can help me out!

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I'm assuming it is a 2wd? If the tail shaft seal is leaking it is could be because the rear bushing is wore. That requires removing the tail shaft.
The bands you will need to look up the specs on that. As a rule they require being tightened to a set inch pound then backed off so many turns. I can never remember the specs so I would have to look it up also.
When you drop the pan note how much metal or clutch material is in it. One trick I learned years & years ago is to set the pan so the pan holes are flat on something solid & with a ball pene hammer in one hand & a hammer in the other smack the pan hole outward so when you go to put it back on the holes will not stop good gasket contact. The pan bolts pull the holes up into the tranny housing if you don't knock them down you can end up with a leak. An old tranny shop trick I learned in my 20s when I worked in a tranny shop.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I only use Mopar brand ATF+4 in my truck. Yes it's not cheap. Niether is a rebuild. AtP or Mopar filters.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I added a drain plug to mine. Need to get mine drained again and new filter, hoping that fixes my problem

0830111935.jpg
image-2.jpg

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wermbang, how did you add that drain plug. what kinda parts did you use.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only ATF+4 is a good rule to live by in Mopar land I would do one labeled synthetic personally unless you buy from the dealer then of course it is Mopar branded which is probably Mobil syn anyway. I usually use Valvoline ATF+4 Synthetic since it is easiest for me to find and I trust Valvoline.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
mopar fluid and mopar filters is all i use in my trans.

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
I run Schaeffers Oil 204S in ALL of my automatics including my 800+Hp Common Rail.
I have many miles using this fluid and have not had an issue at all with any of the vehicles it has been in.
I realize that many do not like the harder to obtain(meaning that you can not just got to the local store and buy it)synthetics but to me the little added work to get the better fluids is not an issue.

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
I was thinking the mopar stuff was a semi-syn but I'm not 100% on that. Synthetics have definitely shown their advantage in the drive train. Hence factory fills are becoming commonplace.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was thinking the mopar stuff was a semi-syn but I'm not 100% on that. Synthetics have definitely shown their advantage in the drive train. Hence factory fills are becoming commonplace.

I have heard this too. I am too scared to run the AMS ATF in mine. Have you switched and if so what do you think.

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
That's all I run. Never had a problem. Have a 15,000 fifth wheel I haul in the summer. Like the fact that I never run over 200 degrees, even when it's 100 degrees outside!

LifetimeDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 1985 1977
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I only use Mopar brand ATF+4 in my truck. Yes it's not cheap. Niether is a rebuild. AtP or Mopar filters.

Genuine Mopar is the only way I do retro fits of 500 & 518 trannys into old school Mopars & that's the only way to fly. After 75K or so remove completely or remove & replace the check valves in the hoses at your radiator & flush the cooler. These check valves are a leading cause of OD failure. They hold trash like crazy & somtimes when you change fluid the fresh fluid dislodges what I call a blood clot of trash. When you remove these it will hesitate going into gear when parked on a incline they are anti drain back valves Bob