transmission issues need advice and help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum
hi i have a 2000 ram 2500 with a 5.9l magnum the transmission is giving me some concern. it is slipping when cold and when you shift to drive you cant feel it and when you shift it into reverse it seems OK you fell it go in . when you go from r to d you dont get that bump you feel went you got from d to r also it will once in a while get stuck in 2nd gear when driving. when driving it hard it stays is 2nd and the engine hits the rev limiter unit you let for a few sec.s and then it will shift. it was fine up until the past few months i'm thinking of doing a fluid and filter change and would like to know what else i should do while doing that i saw things about adjusting bands, replacing solenoids and so on i would like to put a shift kit in it also what would you recommend to some one that likes to do his own work or am i going to be wasting time and money and should just it rebuilt by a shop sorry for the long winded post

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Fluid and filter change is relatively cheap compared to rebuilding the transmission but keep in mind it may not get you anywhere. It sounds like you need to have it rebuilt. As for a shift kit that really depends on what you want out of the truck. If it's a tow vehicle or work horse then a shift kit won't really do much for you. If you want performance and chirping gears from first to second then go for it, but don't expect much in that regard out of a 2500 w/ 360. Once you have it rebuilt you may be satisfied with a tuner and raising the shift points.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Fluid and filter change is relatively cheap compared to rebuilding the transmission but keep in mind it may not get you anywhere. It sounds like you need to have it rebuilt. As for a shift kit that really depends on what you want out of the truck. If it's a tow vehicle or work horse then a shift kit won't really do much for you. If you want performance and chirping gears from first to second then go for it, but don't expect much in that regard out of a 2500 w/ 360. Once you have it rebuilt you may be satisfied with a tuner and raising the shift points.

Imma disagree with you there. You're overlooking the fact that a shift kit fixes all the factory defects in the vb (of which there are many and are the main reason these fail) and i highly suggest them in ANY truck for ANY use. Firmer shifts=less wear=longer life.

Do the fluid and filter change with the band adjustment and see how it responds. Go ahead and do the shift kit as well if you don't wanna spend the time or money to drop the pan 2x. Even if the rest of the trans fails 1000 miles down the road you can always clean and swap your current vb into a good teams and Jane a new trans with a shift kit to prolong its life