Transmission not shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 2000 ram 1500 5.2 SLT 4wd auto... i test drove it before buying and everything seemed fine.. but when i drove it home it wouldnt shift out of 2nd i believe it kept going to redline so i let off the throttle but it still wouldnt shift.. I pull over to look at it only to find the Radiator now currently has a hole in it.. WHY IS MY DODGE NOT SHIFTING? any suggestions? could the radiator have something to do with it? It has no check engine lights.. I tried searching but didnt have much luck.. please help me

Rodeoram93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l magnum
I am having the same problem with my 1999 can't figure out why it won't shift cuase it's a new transmission...

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a code p1756 and an oxygen sensor code... they come on and off as they please... what could this mean? some are saying the governor pressure solenoid and sensor?

2NDGENGASSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I have a code p1756 and an oxygen sensor code... they come on and off as they please... what could this mean? some are saying the governor pressure solenoid and sensor?

I'm having a similar issue that I've been looking into, my 99 is showing a P0740 code Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid which I believe is in the pan. Nothing I can't handle as far as dropping the pan and changing along with the fluid and a filter... I'm just wondering if I'm having this problem because I did a temporary cat delete and I don't have 02 sensors at all at the moment..

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
the reason it wont shift is most likely the gov/pressure solenoid and the shift solenoid
pull the trans pand and remove the filter and its right there. replace them both. most likely will fix it......oh and buy a new radiator....holes are no good

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the reason it wont shift is most likely the gov/pressure solenoid and the shift solenoid
pull the trans pand and remove the filter and its right there. replace them both. most likely will fix it......oh and buy a new radiator....holes are no good

Yeah I heard the gov pressure sensor and solenoid may be the cause.. I ordered them... what is the shift solenoid? how hard is that to install? lol stop leak fixed the radiator for now.. im not trynna put too much money into the truck until i can get it to shift

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Look on YouTube how to install its very easy. Are you mechanically inclined under the hood? If so its cut and dry for ya.

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look on YouTube how to install its very easy. Are you mechanically inclined under the hood? If so its cut and dry for ya.

well i guess i am.. i do swaps on hondas and i did my clutch on my jeep so i guess i can do this job.. thanks for the help

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Since you're having to do a drain and fill on the trans. anyway, make sure the filter is replaced and the bands are adjusted.

Might as well, ya know?

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you're having to do a drain and fill on the trans. anyway, make sure the filter is replaced and the bands are adjusted.

Might as well, ya know?

I sure will thanks :favorites13: .. but i hear some people say not to do the band adjustment? is there a write up for that? is there any chance you can tell me the pros and cons of doing it? all my previous cars have been manual so i have no idea what they do or how they work

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I sure will thanks :favorites13: .. but i hear some people say not to do the band adjustment? is there a write up for that? is there any chance you can tell me the pros and cons of doing it? all my previous cars have been manual so i have no idea what they do or how they work

By tightening the bands it removes the minute bit of slip that develops over time, out of the shifting.

Download this
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/2nd_gen_service_manual-986/

If you have to get into the trans. anyway, and it's of unknown condition, you might as well do it.

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I forgot to do the band adjustment.. but i put the governor pressure sensor and solenoid in.. check engine light is now off and it does shift sorta... I have to let go of the gas to let it shift.. how do i correct this?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Band adjustment. You have to let off because the transmission is still slipping too much under load.

OP
OP
G

gallis95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled one of the bands and it had alot of play.. maybe a full inch

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
YOU PUT STOP LEAK IN THE RADIATOR??

Hopefully no clogs in the engine now... glad to hear the tranny is improving!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio