transmission overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001ramtough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2001 dodge ram 1500 won't shift into overdrive. I put a new overdrive/lockout solenoid on it and new filter and fluid but no change. I didn't see any metal in the pan when I changed the fluid. Any ideas? I not getting any codes either. could it be the speed sensor? and if it was electrical would I get a code?
Thanks for your help

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Transmissions don't usually "report" through OBDII. Some vehicles (BMW for example) have a separate data port for pulling not only OBDII codes, but also tranny codes, airbag, etc.
That said, this PDF ( http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-39.pdf ) says P07xx would be tranny-related, assuming your problem falls into one of those codes.

Anyone know if we have a computer in these trannies, and how you can access the data if it's not a code reported through OBDII?

OP
OP

2001ramtough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
still need help

thank you for the codes. I'm still needing help troubleshooting. anyone else got any ideas of what could be the problem?

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Just to be clear: What you're saying is, when you get up to a certain speed where you expect the auto tranny to shift from 3rd to 4th.... it doesn't. (Say, 45? 50?)

I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to clarify the question. My truck is still new to me and I have my own issues to sort through. ;)

OP
OP

2001ramtough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
correct

yep thats correct. It won't shift into 4th gear or what they call overdrive.