Transmission problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TucoRamirez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, I need advise. The other days while I was driving my truck on the street the transmission return line from the radiator came off, I did not know until the truck leaked all the fluid and I could not go anywhere. I opened the hood and saw what happened. It was very sad because I have had my truck for 12 and never had any problems with the transmission. I went to a store and got transmission fluid, filled the tranny to the right level and it worked again I also connected the line back to the radiator.
The transmission now makes a noise when I put it on reverse and I can tell that the engines revs more to take off whenever I go from park or stop. I am not using the truck that much. I can tell that the tranny is not the same.
Do you have any idea what's going on?
I am short on cash now and cannot afford to take it to a shop. I know I have to fix it. Pep boys wants $260.00 to change the fluid and filter.
I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 two wheel drive, 5.2.
Thanks for your help.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You have verified that it IS completely full of fluid and not under or overfilled, correct?

Changing the fluid and filter won't do you much good as....well, you pretty much drained all of it out.

So here is what I would suggest: a fluid and filter change (mandatory for what I'm about to say) and a band adjustment. Bands can slip when they don't get enough fluid (read, friction material got ground off) and require readjustment.

OP
OP
T

TucoRamirez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you very much for your reply, yes, I know about the band adjustment, I have the Haynes service manual. When I went to pep boys I mention to the service guy about the bands needing adjustment, he then said to take the truck to another shop. I will do what you recommend and will post the result.
Thanks again.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Any transmission shop that has done work on these trucks before will be able to get it done quick if that's the route you decide to take.
My truck was in and out in a few hours, and that was with a transmission seal that needed to be replaced. lol

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure that it is full to the mark with fluid. Sounds like you could have some air in the converter. Run the shifter through all of the positions a few times after its warmed up, then check the fluid again while idling in neutral with the parking brake on.

OP
OP
T

TucoRamirez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will take it to a shop as soon as I can. Thanks for your help guys.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll second the converter idea.. I'm going through replacing everything now and the guy I got the trans from said that it'll act like a high stall converter until it's full of fluid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334