Transmission Problems, Ideas? Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
Engines starts and runs but when the transmission is in gear (46re) I wont go anywhere. A couple days before this, I noticed a slip in between shifts. Any Ideas?? Am I looking at a new transmission?? Need some advice please

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Engines starts and runs but when the transmission is in gear (46re) I wont go anywhere. A couple days before this, I noticed a slip in between shifts. Any Ideas?? Am I looking at a new transmission?? Need some advice please

No trans expert here ... did you have any problems before this?

How is the fluid level?

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
^^ Neither am I, Its probably the only place on the rig I don't really trust myself... The fluid is full. The whole thing happened really quickly, for a couple days the transmission would slip on shifts and the motor would rev higher than normal. Then on my way home from work a couple days later I noticed I was cruising at about 1K RPM higher than normal, 30 seconds later it was as if I had the truck in neutral.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
^^ Neither am I, Its probably the only place on the rig I don't really trust myself... The fluid is full. The whole thing happened really quickly, for a couple days the transmission would slip on shifts and the motor would rev higher than normal. Then on my way home from work a couple days later I noticed I was cruising at about 1K RPM higher than normal, 30 seconds later it was as if I had the truck in neutral.

Yea, that doesn't sound good.

You could try this and see if it improves but you should see a good transmission place.

Transmission Fix

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
sounds like it lost line pressure or completely grenaded

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It depends, do you have reverse? if you dont, it may just be time for a fluid and filter change. If the fluid is black, then things are burn and its probably a rebuild.

If you do have reverse, then something is burnt and its probably a rebuild.

Sorry mate.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Dont waste your money on the transmission fix additives. I doubt your problem will be resolved with a fluid a filter change but you can go ahead and try it. My money is either a rebuild or a whole new one.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Dont waste your money on the transmission fix additives. I doubt your problem will be resolved with a fluid a filter change but you can go ahead and try it. My money is either a rebuild or a whole new one.

Yeah, those transmission fix things are basically, heavy weight oil, a congealing agent, and friction additive like for LSD differentials. It will only make things worse.

A fluid and filter change is cheap compared to any other alternative, so thats why i'd just try it. The worst that can happen is you are out $60 on a $2200 job.

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
As of yesterday this is what the fluid looked like, don't know if the picture helps any... Whats the odds I can get back on the road with just a flush and filter?? Went to start her up today and see if I had reverse but the battery is dead, charging overnight, will try tomorrow after work. Thanks for the input!
photo.php

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
aa8clzdj.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Sorry couldn't get the picture uploaded correctly at first, heres the picture if it helps

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
Sorry guys, Ive been slammed at work, I got started the truck up today and had reverse, but what really freaked me out was my forward gears worked too!!! The only thing was I noticed a pretty loud rattling noise from the back of the engine bay and under the truck. My best guess was Torque Converter, what do you guys think??

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
Anything?? I got some free time this weekend to work on it but I don't know what the problem is now. Can anybody help diagnose the rattling noise??

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Sounds like it could be the torque converter

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Check and make sure your trans lines are good and that you have enough trans fluid. Mind aswell tighten the bands too!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can pull the inspection cover to get to the tq converter. Make sure the bolts haven't backed out and scraped anything

OP
OP
D

DrivewayRamRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9 V8
Gonna pull the pan and inspection cover today hopefully. Any tips/tricks on the cover, haven't pulled one before, and anything specific I should be looking for while I'm in there??