Transmission Won't shift out of 1st

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

classy_gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I recently acquired a 01 1500 4x4 Automatic 5.9L. I knew the engine was bad when I got it. I replaced the engine and much to my frustration the transmission won't shift out of 1st gear. The truck had sat for at least a year prior to me purchasing it. I have read some about the Shift Solenoid causing problems, is there a way to trouble shoot this without just guessing? I don't have any trouble codes presently. The transmission is properly filled with fluid. Thanks for you input.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There are a few issues that can cause failure to shift out of 1st. The most common problem I has seen is the front band being either burnt or too loose.

Fluid and filter change is the first step. (after the fluid and filter change drive it around for about 5-10 miles using a method described below to expel and residual air in the system if the oil was low and sucked air)

First thing i'd do is check the color of the trans fluid. If its dark brown or black, i'd suspect the band is burnt. To confirm you would need to drop the valve body or get and inspection cam to see up in there. One of the common problems is someone trying to adjust the transmission band, and accidentally unscrewing the adjustment screw. This will allow the band anchor to fall out of place and onto the valvebody or into the pan. When that happens the shift solenoid has to extend to its full length, which isn't enough to get firm engagement. The result is either no 2nd gear, or 2nd gear that slips back to 1st with the slightest touch on the gas.

Have you tried flooring it all the way to the redline near 5400rpm. That should get you up to about 40mph. When you hit 40 or above (don't worry about bouncing off the redline a few times if its warmed up) put it in neutral until it drops to idle, then put it back in drive and lightly hit the gas. If you have 3rd gear/OD my money's on that front band. If not, it could still be the front band, but it also opens up the possibilities of something else.

Unfortunately, as I recently found out, there is no way to replace the second band unless you have a slip band I think its called, but I cant find any for the 46-48 series of transmissions, without a rebuild. Good news is, you should be able to remove it without much work in way of the rebuild. And you can get a nice red eagle rebuild kit that will take care of any gasket or o-ring problems you might have. Plus it will be all ready to handle the power should you decide to build and tune the engine later on.

OP
OP
C

classy_gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks for the suggestions I'll try to see if I can get it to shift into 3rd. The fluid looks fine, bright red and no burnt smell.

OP
OP
C

classy_gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I was able to get the transmission to shift into third based on dudeman2009's advice of running the rpms up and letting off and giving it gas again it does go into 3rd. So I guess Ill try adjusting the front band and change the filter. Any good band adjustment videos anyone recommends?? Still linking about replacing governor pressure solenoid while I'm in there unless anyone thinks that it is a waste of time. Just don't feel like wasting fluid all the time.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'd do it while you're in there. Band adjustment: back off the locknut, tq adjustment screw (torx bit, t25 if I remember correctly) to 72 in/lbs then back it off 4 turns. Factory specified adjustment is 2-7/8 turns but it's too tight if service has been ignored. 4 turns will keep it in range without burning it up.

OP
OP
C

classy_gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks for your input. I have seen a wide variety of info on adjusting the bands from 1 3/4 to 4 turns. Is it better to start lose or tight? How will I know which way is to much or not enough? Thanks

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure your throttle pressure lever on the trans is not stuck ( the lever above the manual lever, above trans bellcrank) There should be a spring that pulls the lever forward at idle. Crawl under the truck, have an assistant slowly depress the gas pedal (engine off) the lever should go from forward position closed throttle, and move back as the throttle is depressed. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
C

classy_gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I went to adjust my front band the adjustment stud is turned almost all of the way in. Did something come undone for someone else? I remember seeing something about the band coming disconnected. Any suggestions?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I went to adjust my front band the adjustment stud is turned almost all of the way in. Did something come undone for someone else? I remember seeing something about the band coming disconnected. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the band anchor fell off. In order to fix it, you're going to have to drop the valvebody. Its pretty straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXqufnwB1bb0QKnP2Owo3nA

That is an excellent source for information on the transmission.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
LOL I literally just posted a link to that channel in the other trans thread here! I watched almost all the lessons so far. Really good info and illustration. So good, if I had to tackle a rebuild myself, I think I could do it after watching these vids.