Truck caught fire..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was driving and my volt meter was going down to 8 so I put it in neutral and have it some gas after it started going up. I put it in drive and the truck didn't want to go so I gave it more gas and got her going I then pulled off and my truck was pourin out fuel. Which then caught fire....how do the 2 go together??

2001 ram 1500 4x4 slt 5.2 mag

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
first off i hope you are alright...

second, sounds like a major short occured if it just started losing charge like that.

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I'm fine it all happened at a gas station lol fire dept came mega fast but how do the 2 go together?? I can not figure out how whatsoever

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
maybe fuel pump shorted out, you hit the gas, built pressure in fuel lines and popped off the pump... no clue. do you know where the gas was pouring out? or about?

did you have a full tank?

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was coming out where the tranny meets the motor in that area. And it was about a 1/8 of a tank so not a ton jut like 4 gallons maybe.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any work done to it lately? How long have you had it? How long did it burn?

Glad to hear you are ok. Take a look around, any wires/fuel lines laying on the exhaust manifold?

Welcome to RF.

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like it was a fuel line IMO. I just put a system in it but had it in for a couple days maybe that did something? Insurance doesn't know that lol and I bought it in sept and have done a ton of stuff. It's a clean a$$ truck and it mostly burned the fuel on the ground but the tranny wires are melted and all

02 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 NSRT-4
Engine
2.4L Turbo
glad you are OK

id say the system caused the volts to go lower and when you revved it up it cause the fuel to flow harder and it caught fire from the heat/leak.

HEMIWHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought? You didn't screw anything into the floorpan? Speaker box,amp, wire hold downs ?

I've seen a fuel line nicked that eventually burst before.........maybe a ground wire?

I know the lines are pretty far from the pan but?....

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No i didn't drill anything it was just sittin in there. I just don't get how the volts went back up like nothing happened...that's what confuses me

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just throwing this out there but on the back of the intake by the distributor is a rubber hose that connects the 2 fuel rails together. I think there is a chance that line cracked, burst, popped off, or something of the sort. That fuel was then shorting the distributor and therefore causing the volts to drop. The fuel got hot enough to ignite and started the fire. At the very least I would think that line is the culprit of the fuel leak.

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I find out the cause on Friday but I never look at it. Would it pour fuel out tho? How much do those hoses cost? I have to pay for the mechanical failure and everything hurt by the fire is covered.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well since it is a rubber hose that is pressurized it could be anything from a spray to a full on dump. I think its a relatively cheap hose. Hope to find out the cause and you can get it back on the road soon!

OP
OP
F

Fishingking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it was a cracked fuel line. The tranny harness is fried, vacuum hoses and lines are fried, truck won't crank and the guy told me he has no idea what the tranny is like inside