Truck wont crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
Well ofcourse I was heading to work and got in my truck and turned the key and didnt even turn over, well it kind did but extremely slow wuoldnt even consider it a turn over, so called my friend over to come jump me, he drives a chevy s10 and hooked up cables and nothing not even a turn over, next day i went outside to to try again and it kinda turned over.. well better than it did yesterday so I checked my signal wire going to the starter and hit the sillinoid thinking mayb it was on a dead spot, my bud came over to jump it and just like yesterday the volts on my volts gauage went up to around 9 which is were its always at when i start my truck and nothing not even a turn over... so later on i turned my lights on to see if they would stay on and they drained the battery volts on the guage extremely low and only took 10 seconds, i cant get a voltmeter from my grandpa till monday so just looking for ideas of what it might be, im thinking starter or battery cause it obviously isnt the alternator...If it was running and voltage dropped id understand but never did that so house to be starter or batter right?

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Battery probably has a bad cell in it causing it not to jump start or hold a charge. Same thing happened to my truck and i had to drive it home 5 miles with a jump pack hooked up to the battery. Id say replace the battery and go from there

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Williamw454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try a new battery. Are you getting short clicks then nothing? If so that could be your starter.

Williamw454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also get under there and beat the starter a little bit. You'd be surprised how well it works haha.

OP
OP
nitto

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
I did hit the sillanoid to get it off the dead spot but you dont wanna hit newer starters cause of the permant magnet and Im doing a load test on the battery tomorrow