Truck won't turn off!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudder999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hey, have an issue with my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. Truck won't turn off when I touch my window controls and windows don't work either. I have an after market remote starter install (was installed before I bought the truck 5 years ago). Issue started 3 weeks ago, if I don't touch window controls the truck shuts off proper but if I touch window controls it doesn't shut off unless I pull a fuse and put it back in. Fuse isn't blown either. When issue startered, remote starter stopped working, windows stopped working and obv truck doesn't turn off like mentioned above.

Tried replacing the ignition switch.

Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined. Any have any ideas?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I would find out what kind of remote start it is and find out who installs that type remote start in your area and let them check how it is wired.That thing sounds like its doing a number on your electrical system.It could possibly burn up your wiring or fry your computer.You will need a wiring diagram to trace the wires and what that remote start is tied into.I know there are some members in the forum that are more electrical smart than me and maybe able to help.There are some sharp people here.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's certainly an odd one. Almost sounds to me like the ignition circuit "found" a new ground through the window circuit and turning the ignition switch off doesn't open it like it should. The constant hot feed through the window motors would certainly have cooked them.

Man, honestly, I'm really not sure. Problem is, that aftermarket remote start has a set of wires that isn't going to be in any OEM wiring diagram so unless the person who installed it drew one up, it's going to be difficult to trace it. Where's it pulling it's hot? Where's it grounding? And what, if anything, is in the loop with it? I'd offer advice if I could but electrical bugs to me are...buggers.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
It sounds like the person who wired it up jury rigged it and it is doing a number I would get rid of that keyless start right off the start.That could be your loop that is shorting out things.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's certainly an odd one. Almost sounds to me like the ignition circuit "found" a new ground through the window circuit and turning the ignition switch off doesn't open it like it should. The constant hot feed through the window motors would certainly have cooked them.

Man, honestly, I'm really not sure. Problem is, that aftermarket remote start has a set of wires that isn't going to be in any OEM wiring diagram so unless the person who installed it drew one up, it's going to be difficult to trace it. Where's it pulling it's hot? Where's it grounding? And what, if anything, is in the loop with it? I'd offer advice if I could but electrical bugs to me are...buggers.

My thoughts too. Sounds like whoever installed it may have nicked a few wires at the same time.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It's been on the truck since you bought it 5+ years ago so I'm thinking some or one of the connections they made installing the remote start is coming loose or has come apart, all the wiring they touch is behind the panel under colum so check the connections.
It's been good till recently right so it may also be a bad remote start module. Check for melted and corroded wires too.

Last edited:

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
had a similiar issue with my flat bed, I would just give it a lot of gas and would 90% of time die. Had a customer diesel truck do same thing gave it a bunch of throttle and it killed it.

no remote start on either though