Turbo my 360 or go diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superman042488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Well I hit a point where I can't decide between turboing (with fully built motor toe support) my 360 Magnum in my 99 1500 or make the switch to diesel. My truck is lifted 10" on 38's and if I do switch so will the diesel. It is my daily driver quad cab for my kids and my work truck I'd do masonry and mechanics. If I go diesel it will be a second gen quad cab still. I know both will cost me quite a bit but I'm not concerned with the money value. I love my truck now but I love the Cummins engines too. Any thoughts, opinions, or advice that y'all may have that may help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what everyone here thinks about how well the 360 fully built and turbod will hold up to the 10"s on 38's I know the diesel won't have any issues with it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The 360 will hold up fine. Its more of a transmission and axle problem you're looking at. The D44 doesn't do 35+ very well. 4.88 at the very minimum for 38s, 5.13s would be more appropriate though. That is if you like not replacing transmissions.

As far as turboing goes, factory bottom end will take nearly 20psi and 700wtq before it blows on e85 if your tuner is worth a damn. Factory heads will tend to lift once you approach 12psi, 12 and past will require headstuds.
The real problems and cost that comes with turboing comes in the fabrication required. You will need:
-fully custom fabbed headers to run the turbo
-fab hot side piping
-fab intercooler mounts
-fab cold side piping
-blow through carb hat that will hold in place under boost
-255lph fuel pump
-larger injectors
-sct tuning (FlyinRyan is the man)
-wideband 02 gauge and sensor
-run oil lines
to name a few things.

Much as I hate to say it, you're better off with the cummins. Being as your truck is your family daily and work truck, I wouldn't **** with all that fab work. Now if you're just going to have a shop do the work, prob won't be down long then and its a possibility. Cummins you could hop right into, have the beefier axles for 38s as well as lower gear options (5.13s and up, d44 ends at 4.88).

There is another option that I don't necessarily suggest but there is ways to improve it. There is a company called P.I.E (Performance Injection Equipment) that, if your pockets are deep enough, sells kits to turbo these engines or mount a vortech centrifugal supercharger on instead. The reason I don't necessarily suggest these guys is because they've been known to build 408 engines for customers that begin to knock shortly into their use and their in house sct tuning blows up motors. You COULD buy their hardware, install it yourself, and get tuned through FlyinRyan and probably have a decent setup.

OP
OP
S

Superman042488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
I have a set of d60/70 5.13 axles that are going on my truck and I have a second vehicle but it's a little car I have a full garage and a buddy does all my fab work but I do see what you are saying also and thank you for your input it is helpful info. Either way I go I will sure to keep everyone posted.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Neither. Get yourself a 4" crank and make a 408 stroker! Much simpler, much cheaper and with an appropriate induction setup will make 400+ horsepower with plenty of low-end kick.

If you really wanna be different, Hughes Engines has their 426 stroker kits in stock again, but opinions on Hughes is pretty mixed around here...

Okay, I admit that I prefer N/A over forced-induction and abide by the ole' "no replacement for displacement" philosophy so my opinion is just a bit biased.

OP
OP
S

Superman042488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
I was considering the 408 stroker but I hear they don't last long I want it to last reliably for a while