Ugh, u-joint time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Been hearing some clicking while rolling noise coming from the driver side front. Today, I slid under there and found that the u-joint is totally shot. It's a Moog Super Strength and is only a couple years old. I seem to recall paying a fair bit for it but am very disappointed that it's shot at two years and my 4x4 only sees use during Winter and the mud period in early Spring.

I've been reading for a while that Moog as a brand has become pretty, eh. Boy do you pay for their stuff though!

What do y'all recommend? I gotta replace this thing before it blows...

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Spicer. Spicer was used from the factory and mine didn't need done until summer 2012 after 118k miles. I'm not going to argue with that kind of success.

Also, balljoint press = :pepper:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it have a grease fitting?Did you use it if there was one?
If there's no fitting then I usually try to pack more in it than it comes with.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nope, it was a "non-greasable" type. I didn't actually install it, so I have no idea if the guy packed it or not.

Lucky for me, the local O'Reilly's carries Spicer brand yuees, so I'm gonna nab a couple of those. Hope they last a little longer, LOL.

2kDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was OEM and had about 120k before I had to replace them. I used Spicer also, they have the grease fitting so hopefully they can go even longer.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 97 has 261,000+ miles on it and still has the original axle u-joints.