Under Hood Heat shield question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatball12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So that cloth that is mounted under the hood has finally seen it last days.
Im going to take it out and I have a few questions before I do.

Does it perform a important function?

Can I go without it or should I replace it?

More durable replacement options?

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
It helps keep some of the heat off of your hood and protects it in case of engine fire. If you replace it LMC has factory replacement but check ebay also may find it cheaper.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Contrary to popular belief, it's not a heat shield or a fire blanket.
All it is is a sound damper.
If you look on the stripper trucks, they don't have it. I haven't run one since 2010 when I bought my truck, paint is fine.
Fell free to rip it off. All it does in my experience is get soaked with water and mud.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just sound deadener as DD94 said. I've been running without mine for 2years or some **** now and i run my pig hard regardless of outside temp

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As others have pointed out, that mat is solely for sound dampening, not that it does a good job of it.

However, this misconception might come from the other chevys back when they switched to galvanized metal. At the time, no paint formulation would stick, and paint would flake off like dead skin. This was most apparent on the hoods and fenders of vehicles due to differential heating of the metal and paint. An insulating mat that blocked some of the heat reduced peeling drastically. However, since things can catch on fire when exposed to exhaust temperatures, manufacturers opted for asbestos or fiberglass mats to prevent fire in the event that the matting should fall on the engine.

Over time the paint issue was fixed, but another pleasant effect of the mat was sound dampening. Lifter tick was a common occurrence on older engines without hydraulic tappets, even as soon as 40K miles on some engines. Since thin absorbent mats work wonders on reducing high pitched sounds, the mats stayed in order to help quite that undesirable noise.

Advances in engine technology have greatly quieted valve train noise to an acceptable level even without absorbent mats, but the mats still reduce noise further. Think old ford pickups that have huge valve noise due to being beat up. That is similar to how many cars sounded back when the mats were being used for paint protection (not as bad, but still similar).

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Contrary to popular belief, it's not a heat shield or a fire blanket.
All it is is a sound damper.
If you look on the stripper trucks, they don't have it. I haven't run one since 2010 when I bought my truck, paint is fine.
Fell free to rip it off. All it does in my experience is get soaked with water and mud.

On an aside, is there really a 26K club or are you the only member? lol

01RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.2L
Just ditched mine, it was in sad shape.