V10 to 5.9 Magnum swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Has anyone ever put a 5.9 magnum in the place of a V10? Wondering if motor mounts line up or if mounts from 5.9 can be bolted in place of the other mounts, etc. Also if the PCM (if that's the proper term for these) can be swapped in and everything will work. Truck is a 95 2500 and the 5.9 would be from a 98. Both automatics, could the transmission behind the V10 be retained or would I have to use the 46re from the 5.9? Not sure if OBDI to OBDII would be an issue, etc.

I realize it's a lot of questions, just wondering if anyone has any info. Reason I'm asking is because I have a perfectly good 360 and 46re in my 98, but the truck is half rot and the front axle is bad. And I found the 95 2500 4x4 for sale with a bad 8.0L V10 for a very good price, the truck is in great condition other than the bad engine. Thank you for any help.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Trans won't even bolt up to the 360. Pcm is completely different and unusable. You'll need to find a trans pcm and harness for a 95 360 or for a 96/97 if you want obd2 and more build-ability. Motor mounts are completely different but the v8 mounts can be swapped in fairly easily.

OP
OP

98rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the info. Not overly worried about the OBDII, just want everything to run properly and the gauges to work. Was hoping that dropping the engine and trans in together with the PCM from the 98 would make it more or less plug and play. This truck is in nice shape and a good price, but I can wait for a 98+ 5.9 truck to show up if it's too much of a hassle to get it done.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
You're better off swapping to a cummins, the trans will bolt up, but you will need a diesel torque converter I believe.

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Cummins is the better way to go magnum motors aren't that good I got a 318 I just built and I am kicking myself in the ass for not going with a cummins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
Whats wrong with the V10? Why not just rebuild or find another V10. I love mine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Cummins is the better way to go magnum motors aren't that good I got a 318 I just built and I am kicking myself in the ass for not going with a cummins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had a built 318 you wouldn't be kicking yourself. The Magnum engines are a very reliable and fun engine line especially when built. Cummins is overrated and every ********* wants 15k for a clapped out ************* with 300k on it. For that price, you can build a badass and clean 2nd gen with a magnum.

OP
OP

98rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the responses, all. I think we got a little off the spirit of the question - yes, I could rebuild the V10. Yes, I could put a Cummins in it. ****, it gets tempting to throw the VE engine out of my 93 into a 2nd gen!

However, as clearly stated, I don't own the V10 truck. I have a rusty 1500 with a 5.9 magnum and trans that are in great shape. I was looking for a new home for the powertrain and thought that this truck may fit the bill. Apparently I'd be better off with a 98+ 5.9 truck that needs an engine. Again, thanks.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks for the responses, all. I think we got a little off the spirit of the question - yes, I could rebuild the V10. Yes, I could put a Cummins in it. ****, it gets tempting to throw the VE engine out of my 93 into a 2nd gen!

However, as clearly stated, I don't own the V10 truck. I have a rusty 1500 with a 5.9 magnum and trans that are in great shape. I was looking for a new home for the powertrain and thought that this truck may fit the bill. Apparently I'd be better off with a 98+ 5.9 truck that needs an engine. Again, thanks.

In your area of the country it shouldnt be too awfully difficult to find a clean shell. My area it's nearly impossible (Iowa likes its salt). Finding an empty shell or one with bad drivetrain also gives you the chance to clean up am engine bay and clean up what's usually not very accessible. Having the motor out gives you a chance to clean that up too