vacuum related questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so with the help of this great site and a few of it's members I was able to get to the bottom and repair a running issue I have been fighting for a while

Now I have a new and one old issue I'm stumped by
first the old as the new seems to have seriously effected the old
the truck is a 98 4X4 1500 with a 5.9
since the day we bought our truck it has had this problem where when the A/C is on and you accelerate hard it would flip the inner doors to defrost then when you let up it would change back
I did find a vacuum line going into the firewall broken one day and fixed it
no joy, off and on I have searched for the leak never finding it but as it worked it wasn't a big concern

now the new, I had my trans rebuilt recently, that was a disaster, should have just done it myself. any way after fixing and tightened the many things they screwed up all seemed OK except for on top of the trans back at the transfer case there are these 3 vacuum lines going into a TEE of F shaped fitting. that was now broken. I rigged it back together as best I could and it looked to be OK. I figured it had to do with the 4X4 module on the front axle. well fast forward to when I'm working to fix the running problem I take a look and find all 3 lines are now apart and just hanging there. this time there is no putting it back,,,, so I get a TEE and using some hose I have I reconnect the 3 vacuum lines
Now the defrost is on full time, nothing will change the door position for the A/C
so was the fitting at the trans more than just a TEE, did it have an internal check valve or do I have another vacuum leak causing this new issue

OP
OP
A

AJ1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I should have used the search feature first.
I did find my vacuum leak and got it repaired, still switches to defrost when accelerating but I will replace the vacuum valve and see if that cures it

still not sure if just connecting all 3 of those lines on top of the trans is OK