War Rig horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a3YzWJpLok

Anyone have any idea how to replicate this particular horn? Looking around, the closest I've heard is a foghorn fitted to a ship or set up in a lighthouse although they don't seem quite as "low."

Most airhorns that I've listened to are much higher-pitched than what the War Rig used. Looking at pictures, it looks like the War Rig only had a single horn so I suppose they maybe got an air horn set, but ditched the "high pitch" horns and only kept the "low pitch" horn?

I've also read that the sound was digitally created but I imagine that it should be possible to set up an air horn setup with that particular note. Just not sure how one goes about it. Maybe a horn with a large throat hooked up to a compressor that kicks out large volume at low pressure?

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, that horn is digitally edited. I've been looking for a copy of it since the movie came out. Emailed various places and it all came down to one of two options:

1) It is digitally created.

2) It was a bellows mounted to one of the exhaust stacks using the whole exhaust pipe as the trumpet.

Most likely scenario would indicate option 1...

My WOLO Road Warrior truck horn has a DEEP sound to it, but it needs a bigger pump than what it comes with - even the upgraded direct drive pump that I have on it now isn't enough to push this horn to its full potential.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Anyone else have any comments? I kinda figured that the horn was sound edited. I'm gonna fetch some sound files and do some editing myself and see how close I can get. Then I just gotta figure out how one would take said file and turn it into a horn, LOL.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I bought a vixen train horn set, I opted for the 3 horn in a ring type model. They have a 3 and maybe even a 4 way flat. It rumbled the whole truck when I'd hit it, and I was curious if I could perceivably quite it down while still causing things to vibrate around me. So I removed the two smaller horns and just left the low note hooked up a bit. Its close to Mad Max, but still higher pitch. The only air horn i've heard that low is the huge shallow horn style that would only fit in the bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmBwCR1HVg

Half that size would be about 2.5 times higher pitched Its that inverse quadratic thing or what not. Like doubling the speed of a vehicle quadruples the energy required to stop it.