Water Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a strange title, but that is what I am hearing. I am new to owning a Dodge, so figured this might be normal for Dodge. While driving, I can hear what sounds like running water behind the radio area in dash. When accelerating, you can hear it going faster, pretty soon it isn't as noisy.

I figure this is water going through the heater core in dash. It does it with dial turned all the way to heat, cold or in the middle. I also figured this may be normal for a 1996 Ram 1500, but wanted to ask the folks that know. The radiator is full as well as the overflow plastic tank.

This really seems like a dumb question, but will post anyway.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, I read that thread and understand what is going on, I thought it might be air, but don't remember having anything like that before. Yes it is louder when cold, guess it heats up and expands the water enough the air bubble is smaller or disappears until cooler. Well tomorrow I will be burping the Dodge.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I parked on an incline and took off radiator cap, put heater all way to red and let run for about 45 minutes. Then tonight went out to go to volleyball game and still made water noise in heater core. Not much, maybe less, not sure???

Then I got to thinking (which can be dangerous), until the water heats up and opens up thermostat water shouldn't even be circulating through heater core to make any noise- isn't that correct?

The truck heats up and runs a little over the 200 degree mark, radiator is full and overflow is where it should be. I just bought the truck a week ago and got to wondering if it even has a thermostat. The reason I wondered that is that I didn't think water would be circulating until it got hot and opened up.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow - I had that same issue with my '97 Ram and just ignored it - never knew it was a documented concern until now.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I burped the coolant system to and it's still doing the same thing...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Your heater core is independent from the thermostat. It circulates coolant as long as the engine is running.
If you have air in your system and you can hear it, and you've purged the system (which happens through the coolant recovery tank if the system is sealed) you have some kind of leak, even a minute one. I would keep an eye on the coolant level and see if if it changes over the next few weeks.

I fought the gurgle for months, then one day added a clamp to the recovery tank hose at the rediator cap. Happened to notice a bubble of antifreeze escaping from said joint. Problem solved.

I've also read of one guy who drilled a 1/16" hole in his T-stat on the outer ring. Claims that did the trick.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yes there may be a leak. It also means that air is still in the system. I would again from a cold start open the radiator cap and start the truck. let it warm up in idle and add fluid as needed. Continue to let run for a while. Watching the level. When the level starts to rise after adding fluid re-cap and seal.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked closer and see what you mean, there is hose from water pump going to heater core and back out. Both hoses were hot after running, so I see why it doesn't wait for thermostat to open to get heat. Also noticed how auto trans cools, goes in radiator like I am use to, but comes out and goes into another cooling radiator behind the A/C condenser and then back to trans. Strange, if it has the extra cooling radiator behind condenser, why go to radiator in first place. Maybe that was an add on.

Back to subject, I burp it again today. Marked overflo while cold and was parked on steep incline. Overflo level went up like it should. I reached over and increased RPM, then radiator level went down some and lots of bubbles came out of radiator, they were leaving a mess, didn't really give it that much RPM, only a tiny bit. Anyway when back to idle, radiator level came back up to full. Well see what happens on next cold start.

Update, I didn't wait for it to cool, it is still noisy, especially when giving some acceleration and even when warm. Does stop after awhile. Made noise even with temp knob turned to cold, must have a valve under dash. Have other problems, this is low priority, still will burp it a few more times and watch for a leak as mentioned.

Now seem to have trans problem and starter, that kid I bought it from just plain lied.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye