What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I was referring to someone pulling the "just manual swap bro" line

Condensed from my build thread. Looking for opinions.
With it being a new tranny, have you changed the fluid yet? How many miles are on the tranny now? When I was looking at getting a monster, it said to use thier fluid to break in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jrock2394

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Copied Nightmare and added Jeep hood vents. Don't have em riveted down yet just held on with wire bit i think they look decent i guess. Less coverage than i expected but then they clearly stated the measurements and i didn't even look

Get some pics when it's riveted down.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not familiar with the monster kit but have you done the obvious and park it idling at running temp on even ground in neutral and checked tranny fluid? Do you still have the old check ball valve trans lines or whatever they are called? Is it throwing any codes?

I did the obvious. Check valve is deleted. No codes.

Really wondering if your issue is valvebody related. Sticking valves. With new tq converter and clutches and bands is all that's left and would explain why you still have 2nd but it's fucky.

You already know what's up thanks to the facebook.

With it being a new tranny, have you changed the fluid yet? How many miles are on the tranny now? When I was looking at getting a monster, it said to use thier fluid to break in

Fluid is Amsoil, transmission has 300 miles on it. Monster recommended any synthetic oil, which is what I have in it.

Now...onto results. Talked to my boss, he approved having my co-worker tear into it to find out what's going on shop time since we're waiting on parts for a diff rebuild he's working on and has nothing to do. He called around noon with the ******* awesome news. Bands are fine. Everything looks great...except one thing. The fluid is burnt to ****. He's thinking it's a clutch pack that fried.

I called Monster, and they're willing to send out the replacement parts, but it will require a tear down of the transmission to figure out what exactly it needs. So they're covering the parts no questions asked. So I called the transmission shop who rebuilt it, and he's telling me because it was a brought in item (not something he sells or deals with) he will not provide any warranty on work performed. So I'm going to have to pay for labor all over again. ********.

On top of that, Monster is 3-4 days out, and it's mid day Friday, which means the shop doesn't have the time to yank the trans out, check what's wrong, and inform me of what parts it actually needs before parts could ship today.

Which means, obviously, it's a Monday thing. Probably Tuesday before the parts will ship, which would mean HOPEFULLY Friday before the parts arrive, if not the following Monday, then Tuesday/Wednesday before I have the truck back. So we're talking minimum of 11 days, potentially 2 weeks before I have this ******* issue fixed. On top of that, I'M BEING CHARGED MORE MONEY TO DO THIS AGAIN!

So I talked to my boss, as he's the one who has a relationship with the shop that did the work. He's going to talk to him to see if we can either get ALL labor covered and see where we sit.

If he doesn't cover this and take care of me, I'm going to just order in a full transmission from Monster and do the work myself, lawyer up and get my money back out of the shop for both labor and the cost of the rebuild kit since he ****** it up.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I did the obvious. Check valve is deleted. No codes.

You already know what's up thanks to the facebook.

Fluid is Amsoil, transmission has 300 miles on it. Monster recommended any synthetic oil, which is what I have in it.

Now...onto results. Talked to my boss, he approved having my co-worker tear into it to find out what's going on shop time since we're waiting on parts for a diff rebuild he's working on and has nothing to do. He called around noon with the ******* awesome news. Bands are fine. Everything looks great...except one thing. The fluid is burnt to ****. He's thinking it's a clutch pack that fried.

I called Monster, and they're willing to send out the replacement parts, but it will require a tear down of the transmission to figure out what exactly it needs. So they're covering the parts no questions asked. So I called the transmission shop who rebuilt it, and he's telling me because it was a brought in item (not something he sells or deals with) he will not provide any warranty on work performed. So I'm going to have to pay for labor all over again. ********.

On top of that, Monster is 3-4 days out, and it's mid day Friday, which means the shop doesn't have the time to yank the trans out, check what's wrong, and inform me of what parts it actually needs before parts could ship today.

Which means, obviously, it's a Monday thing. Probably Tuesday before the parts will ship, which would mean HOPEFULLY Friday before the parts arrive, if not the following Monday, then Tuesday/Wednesday before I have the truck back. So we're talking minimum of 11 days, potentially 2 weeks before I have this ******* issue fixed. On top of that, I'M BEING CHARGED MORE MONEY TO DO THIS AGAIN!

So I talked to my boss, as he's the one who has a relationship with the shop that did the work. He's going to talk to him to see if we can either get ALL labor covered and see where we sit.

If he doesn't cover this and take care of me, I'm going to just order in a full transmission from Monster and do the work myself, lawyer up and get my money back out of the shop for both labor and the cost of the rebuild kit since he ****** it up.
**** those guys. people forget that one horror story costs way more in business lost than it costs to please the customer.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
took off an hour and a half early from work and got the title and registration for my first gen and she's ready to roll

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**** those guys. people forget that one horror story costs way more in business lost than it costs to please the customer.

Normally I'd trash the **** out of a company for doing **** like this, but being I'm fairly well known in the 4x4 community, it could come back and bite me or my work in the ass. So I'll hold my tongue on going public with it if he refuses to take care of me, but I for sure as hell won't be sending him any referrals. And if anyone asks my opinion about him, I'll be straight forward about it.

He rebuilt my trans. It failed after 3 days and 300 miles. He refused to warranty his work.

It's not trash talk at that point, it's facts. Sounds bad, but I didn't trash him, that's what he made himself out to be.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Normally I'd trash the **** out of a company for doing **** like this, but being I'm fairly well known in the 4x4 community, it could come back and bite me or my work in the ass. So I'll hold my tongue on going public with it if he refuses to take care of me, but I for sure as hell won't be sending him any referrals. And if anyone asks my opinion about him, I'll be straight forward about it.

He rebuilt my trans. It failed. He refused to warranty his work.

It's not trash talk at that point, it's facts. Sounds bad, but I didn't trash him, that's what he made himself out to be.
can't blame you there. meanwhile if I have a trans problem, the dude closest to me refuses to touch a nv4500 so I've got an hour and a half drive each way lol

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's probably over a hundred transmission shops in the valley around me. I chose to take it to the shop I did because he's been doing business with my work for 15+ years. I won't try to sway my boss from discontinuing their business together, but I for sure know in the future he will not be who I use for my own personal stuff.

When I talked to my boss about it, as a business owner's state of mind, installing customer supplied parts always poses a problem. If you've never worked with the parts, or if they're wrong, you're no longer relying on someone you talk to regularly to get the parts brought in quickly. You're relying on that customer to make contact with where he bought it, and from there for the parts to be delivered to that customer, then for the customer to find the time to bring the parts in. Best case scenario in those situations is the manufacturer sends whatever is wrong directly to the shop installing, as that will be the quickest and easiest solution.

But all the same, business for over 15 years and treating me like this is ********. I'm no business owner, but I know for damn sure I'd never want to tell a customer 3 days after he picked up a rig from having something redone that I'll be charging him labor, regardless of whether or not he bought the parts from me.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
But all the same, business for over 15 years and treating me like this is ********. I'm no business owner, but I know for damn sure I'd never want to tell a customer 3 days after he picked up a rig from having something redone that I'll be charging him labor, regardless of whether or not he bought the parts from me.

Have you tried going in and talking with the owner/person in charge? Just tell them how much your word means, and that you won't hesitate to make public what they did with not covering the additional labor. I had to do that with a shop here when they wanted $900 for a water pump install and broke my thermostat housing screws/bolts and wanted me to pay for it. Talked with the owners son who heads up the business. Agreed to only charge me for the water pump install when I told him I would be posting a review of the business

yakslaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Installed my Volant intake with scoop and a front receiver.

USNW7nil.jpg

USNW7nil.jpg

T9LLiCcl.jpg

RV7zrFRl.jpg

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Put 2 new calipers on my ram. Passenger side was starting to stick and seize up lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Found my driver's side axle seal starting to leak and that my box is leaking more.

FML

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yupp I believe there is 2. Thier on each side of the actuator if I'm not mistaken

That's what I was thinking.

Father in law said he'd help me when it comes time to change it as I have no tools and even less experience. :roflsquared:

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
I put a cable driven actuator on mine. Allows me to choose when to engage the front passenger... While enjoying 4lo