What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hardly anything. A little goes a long way in brakes. It was a spurt and a dribble.

Good to know. I've got new lines in my truck, but my 76 has bad lines. Might have to use this sometime.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Put $75 in gas in er, then drove it to the grocery to get some milk :)

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ordered new spark plugs (autolite 6424 i think was the number) and wires (Standard Motor Products), new dizzy cap and rotor (Standard Motor Products), new air filter (Wix) and breather gasket, new oil filter (lets try a wix this time), tranny fluid filter and pan gasket (wix), and plug gapper from rockauto.com. Will pick my oil and trans fluid up locally. Tune-up time for truck :)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sure they aren't 3924? ;)
Make sure you tighten your bands up a bit, might help the shift quality.

Didn't do anything thing to it today, just looked at the bird crap on the roof and the fact that I need to wash it again.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sure they aren't 3924? ;)
Make sure you tighten your bands up a bit, might help the shift quality.

Didn't do anything thing to it today, just looked at the bird crap on the roof and the fact that I need to wash it again.

Nope, they were the 5224's. They run hotter then the 3924's IIRC. Running oem (dealer replaced) plugs now with no pinging so I'll stay with the hotter ones. Hehe we'll see if i'm adventurous enough to try that, I've never done anything with transmissions before. I gotta clean the IAC too, it hasn't been done since I bought it lol, and I'm sure 8 months of sittin didn't help lol.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nope, they were the 5224's. They run hotter then the 3924's IIRC. Running oem (dealer replaced) plugs now with no pinging so I'll stay with the hotter ones. Hehe we'll see if i'm adventurous enough to try that, I've never done anything with transmissions before. I gotta clean the IAC too, it hasn't been done since I bought it lol, and I'm sure 8 months of sittin didn't help lol.

Okay, the 5224 is the exact heat range and reach of the stock Champions. The 3924 is a pre-98 plug with a shorter nose than the post 98 plugs like we have.

Changing the fluid isn't too bad, just make sure you pitch the pan to the passengers front corner, it has a little built in funnel where the dipstick comes in.

Long story, don't ask.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ahh I was under the impression they ran cooler for some reason, I must have it mixed up with something. Damn now I'll be racking my brains trying to figure out what I've mixed it up with lol.

Tip noted, thank you good sir! I'll be sure to post pics when I do my tune-up.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ahh I was under the impression they ran cooler for some reason, I must have it mixed up with something. Damn now I'll be racking my brains trying to figure out what I've mixed it up with lol.

Tip noted, thank you good sir! I'll be sure to post pics when I do my tune-up.

Yep, the cooler heat for the extended tip plugs is 5223, and it's the same with the 3924, so it's 3923.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey Dodgedude and Johnn! Thanks for the tip on the tranny pan. Last time I did that I had one corner lowered and draining, and then tried to loosen the other bolts with an air-ratchet. Long story short, the exhaust of the ratchet was pointing at the fluid stream! Big mess! I'll be doing a fluid and filter change on the Ram next week. While I have the pan off, I will be taking it to work and having my toolmaker buddy drill a hole, weld a nut to the outside, and install a tapered plug in it so that partial fluid changes will be easier in the future.
Ghetto-Garage tip of the day, DON'T google "tranny"! You WON'T like what pops up!
As far as fluid goes, I have used Wall-Mart Super-Tech ATF+4 for many miles with no issues. Under $5 qt compared to $8+ at the chain stores.
Plug wise, I've always used the Champion RJ12yc's as spec'd. Same plug for my Harley! I've had no issues, but it sounds like you like to use other heat-ranges for better mileage/performance? You have any more info?

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yep, the cooler heat for the extended tip plugs is 5223, and it's the same with the 3924, so it's 3923.

Ahhhhh thats the ones I was thinking of! Yea that makes sense then haha.

Hey Dodgedude and Johnn! Thanks for the tip on the tranny pan. Last time I did that I had one corner lowered and draining, and then tried to loosen the other bolts with an air-ratchet. Long story short, the exhaust of the ratchet was pointing at the fluid stream! Big mess! I'll be doing a fluid and filter change on the Ram next week. While I have the pan off, I will be taking it to work and having my toolmaker buddy drill a hole, weld a nut to the outside, and install a tapered plug in it so that partial fluid changes will be easier in the future.
Ghetto-Garage tip of the day, DON'T google "tranny"! You WON'T like what pops up!
As far as fluid goes, I have used Wall-Mart Super-Tech ATF+4 for many miles with no issues. Under $5 qt compared to $8+ at the chain stores.
Plug wise, I've always used the Champion RJ12yc's as spec'd. Same plug for my Harley! I've had no issues, but it sounds like you like to use other heat-ranges for better mileage/performance? You have any more info?

I have an sct tuner with tunes from Sean, which requires running a lower range thermostat (180*) to prevent the motor from pinging. I just had it mixed up with the plugs, and there different lengths haha. Dodge Dude would probably be able to explain the plugs alot better than I could lol so I'll let him explain.

Ughh what a freaking night. First wheel bearing thats bad started squeeling and getting it changed has been delayed. Then I lost a cab light lens.... Ya I didn't think that possible, must of lost it to a tree branch or something. Then to top my night off, front driver speaker no longer works, completely blown. Thank you Truck, you're just so nice! -_-

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Heh, I had a bolt come out of mine when I was tipping it down and I got dunked in ATF. And mind you, those pans are heavy when full of fluid. :emotions33:
+1 for Wallyworld ATF4, got two changes of it in mine.

The cooler heat range spark plugs, aka Autolite 3923 or Champ. RJ09YC or LC4 had supposedly shown 5 more HP on a chassis dyno compared to stock emissions plugs. However, I wouldn't mess with it unless you're pinging or tow a lot.
Ahhhhh thats the ones I was thinking of! Yea that makes sense then haha.

I have an sct tuner with tunes from Sean, which requires running a lower range thermostat (180*) to prevent the motor from pinging. I just had it mixed up with the plugs, and there different lengths haha. Dodge Dude would probably be able to explain the plugs alot better than I could lol so I'll let him explain.

Ughh what a freaking night. First wheel bearing thats bad started squeeling and getting it changed has been delayed. Then I lost a cab light lens.... Ya I didn't think that possible, must of lost it to a tree branch or something. Then to top my night off, front driver speaker no longer works, completely blown. Thank you Truck, you're just so nice! -_-
Read your own damn signature, foo! :nutkick:

Thinking about pulling my fog lights and sanding them tomorrow to make them match my headlights better.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at mine sitting at the farm in the rain. Then decided to take the 06 home instead and keep the 98 clean and outta the rain.

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Heh, I had a bolt come out of mine when I was tipping it down and I got dunked in ATF. And mind you, those pans are heavy when full of fluid. :emotions33:
+1 for Wallyworld ATF4, got two changes of it in mine.

The cooler heat range spark plugs, aka Autolite 3923 or Champ. RJ09YC or LC4 had supposedly shown 5 more HP on a chassis dyno compared to stock emissions plugs. However, I wouldn't mess with it unless you're pinging or tow a lot.

Read your own damn signature, foo! :nutkick:

Thinking about pulling my fog lights and sanding them tomorrow to make them match my headlights better.

Hopefully I don't dunk myself in ATF lol. I ended up picking up a 5 liter jug of ATF+4 Mobil One and a 5L+1L of Pennzoil 10w-30. Hey I read my own signature everytime I log on! :word:

I think you should too :p

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hopefully I don't dunk myself in ATF lol. I ended up picking up a 5 liter jug of ATF+4 Mobil One and a 5L+1L of Pennzoil 10w-30. Hey I read my own signature everytime I log on! :word:

I think you should too :p

You're gonna need 7 qts.
Mine took 6.5. My truck flipped a ***** when I only put 5 in it....:Stupid Me:

Why should I read your sig? I'm the one that said that. :signs75:

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're gonna need 7 qts.
Mine took 6.5. My truck flipped a ***** when I only put 5 in it....:Stupid Me:

Why should I read your sig? I'm the one that said that. :signs75:

Are you kidding? F'ing partsource.... Told me I'd need 3.8L -_- thought that seemed a little low... Guess Ill grab another 2 quarts at Napa at some point.

No I meant I think you should sand your fogs :D I know you said that quote lmao.

Anyways I don't think I posted a pic of my tailgate after I put the black stripe on it so here it is now :D

IMG_0247_zps04c40d94.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you kidding? F'ing partsource.... Told me I'd need 3.8L -_- thought that seemed a little low... Guess Ill grab another 2 quarts at Napa at some point.

No I meant I think you should sand your fogs :D I know you said that quote lmao.

Anyways I don't think I posted a pic of my tailgate after I put the black stripe on it so here it is now :D

IMG_0247_zps04c40d94.jpg

FSM said like 4-5. lol

Oh, well I'm in process of doing that right now.

Nice. Plastidip?

OP
OP
Johnn123

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't even think to check that until I got there lol, oh well I'll grab two more quarts.

I used a bed liner, couldn't tell ya the name of the brand off top of my head. Worked pretty well I like it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just get a total of 7 qts. Never a bad thing to have an extra or two for topping off trans, t-case, and PS.
Speaking of which, you might change your t-case fluid after your trans if you have enough fluid left. Takes about a qt and a half I think.

Passenger before:
100_5548_zps2c3d8d62.jpg

Driver before:
100_5549_zps980cc593.jpg

Passenger after:
100_5551_zpsa5ebbd51.jpg

Driver after:

100_5552_zpsebf63f82.jpg

Low beams:

100_5553_zpsea6eade9.jpg

High beams:

100_5554_zps6321dd73.jpg

100 watters:

100_5555_zpsfafad3e2.jpg

Engine on:

100_5556_zps21894ddc.jpg

Hard to see the difference in the pictures, but there is a big difference.

And oh yeah, one more to **** off the dial up guys.

100_5557_zps2bf04d37.jpg

:hat:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yesterday was degrease the underside of the truck, covered in tranny fluid. Then on to cleaning the interior, vac it out, shampooed the carpet front and back, washed and waxed the door jambs, removed the summer floor mats and installed the winter mats and rubber ones as well.

Today was wash and wax the outside of the truck.

2013-10-14_14-59-45_374_zpsd29cf585.jpg

2013-10-14_14-56-28_236_zps51916cee.jpg

2013-10-14_14-55-50_922_zpsdcf056c8.jpg