What to do next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hi all, been doing alot of work to my truck, installed 35" BFG A/T tires, 2" spacers with american racing rims, flushed all fluids except for diff fluid will be doing that soon, new radiator, thermostat, new filters all around, wires, plugs, new ac system, trans fluid and filter, just replaced the oil pan and gasket, sanded and undercoated frame and floorpans with rustoleum, new straightpipe duals from the cats back into 4" tips, the list goes on and on, wanted to ask what should i consider doing next? Want to clean throttle body and check plenum, although truck does not consume any oil, just went full synthetic. Also need to fix 4X4. But other than that she runs like a top, daily driver and just clocked in at 121,300 the truck is a 1995 2500HD 8800 GVW has the 5.9 v8, still in highschool so dont want to do any major upgrades, just something that i can do myself and will gain a little power from, and what other maintanance procedures should i take? Will ad some pictures too. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 38

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Hi all, been doing alot of work to my truck, installed 35" BFG A/T tires, 2" spacers with american racing rims, flushed all fluids except for diff fluid will be doing that soon, new radiator, thermostat, new filters all around, wires, plugs, new ac system, trans fluid and filter, just replaced the oil pan and gasket, sanded and undercoated frame and floorpans with rustoleum, new straightpipe duals from the cats back into 4" tips, the list goes on and on, wanted to ask what should i consider doing next? Want to clean throttle body and check plenum, although truck does not consume any oil, just went full synthetic. Also need to fix 4X4. But other than that she runs like a top, daily driver and just clocked in at 121,300 the truck is a 1995 2500HD 8800 GVW has the 5.9 v8, still in highschool so dont want to do any major upgrades, just something that i can do myself and will gain a little power from, and what other maintanance procedures should i take? Will ad some pictures too. Thanks!

The only major thing to increase power would be gears. That is if you dont wanna mess with the engine. 4.10 gears are the most popular for these trucks.

As for stuff to check yourself you can check your whole front end over. Make sure your u joints, ball joints, track bar etc are good.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best bang for your bucks for power is regearing especially with 35's. You'll be looking at either 4.10's or 4.56's, but that won't be cheap unless you can do it yourself (high mechanically skill is required).

Sent from the howitzer

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Go with the 4.56 gears. I have a feeling that the 4.10s wont be enough for you. Dont get me wrong they will work real good compared to the stock 3.55's but youll like the 4.56's especially with the 35's.

Again, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Transmission shops usually do them or know of someone that does it. But again its not cheap.

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I might try that soon, i worked in a shop for awhile and have been working on these trucks for a few years so im mechanically inclined enough, if i have any trouble ill definatley ask! Thanks guys

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
What about maintanance wise? Anything else to do or check for besides front end?

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends on the driving he does, I'm just fine with my 4.10's and 35's. I drive a lot of highway so the lower rpm's cruising work out better than with 4.56's. If he rows regularly then 4.56's is the choice. As far as maintenance you sound like you've gone through the whole truck

Sent from the howitzer

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Depends on the driving he does, I'm just fine with my 4.10's and 35's. I drive a lot of highway so the lower rpm's cruising work out better than with 4.56's. If he rows regularly then 4.56's is the choice. As far as maintenance you sound like you've gone through the whole truck

Sent from the howitzer
Im going to look into regearing soon, sounds like ill be going with the 4.56's, alot of mixed highway and city driving, doing brakes tomorrow and went with Napa platinum rotors and pads, and yeah ive spent alot of time going over the truck lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What size piping did you go with for your exhaust? Headers are a good addition if you haven't done that already with an x pipe.

Regearing is definitely your best bet though. Will take strain off the trans as well

OP
OP
M

mattknox79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
i went with 3" y pipe into 2.5" duals into 4" tips out the back, exhuast goes from stock cat back. the sound is amazing