what i did today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
as some of yall know, i have been working on rebuilding a rear axle for a buddies ram. we thought was gonna be is rebuilding one side of the brakes today. started at about 11:45.well buddy leaves to go out with his girl, and i decided to keep working. rebuilt the passenger side brakes and wanted to see how well the drums turned before we put the wheels on. and found out, the driver side backing plate was bent, DAMN! so close. had to take it off and take the axle out. and off goes the brakes assembly. luckily the backing plate on the junk yard rearend was still good. so did a switch a roo. and forgot how the brakes went on thinking it was opposite of the passenger side... felt like an idiot that it took us an hour to figure that out lol. by now its around 6oclock. just needed to bleed the brakes! did a full bleed with brand new fluid. went and checked everything and finally filled up the differential with fluid and got it spinnin. wheels on, cleaned up and took it for a spin for the first time since June. was the best feeling in the world, knowing that we did it all our self, no tech guys involved. though my hands were too dirty and what not to get a DIY pictures on the brakes, but i will try and get one finished picture and make a DIY outa that. next on the list is rebuilding the engine in a buick!

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! sounds like a good day's work, definitely something to be proud of doing it yourselves :)

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Sounds like a fun day

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
awesome man...wish i knew how to do things like that

Lol I did from watching YouTube videos haha if I didn't have YouTube I would have had to fork out a lot of money to have someone rebuild the rearend in my old truck lol

Droid incredible 2 on the move!

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i guess i should spend more youtube time looking up things that will actually help me learn rather than people doing stupid things

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
it wasnt that bad. first time i ever did this. didnt even need to look up stuff really. we just got started, and it was easy. time consuming but easy. coulda gone quicker but i rather take a while and get things right. it was a lot of fun ill say that. next for this truck is a new grille and front bumper and we are going to redo the paint. the clear coat is almost completely off the hood. we have a couple projects for this truck. the engine and performance are basically fully modded, but the damn outside just doesnt match it. lol. its what you call a "junk yard truck" looks bad on the outside, but you have noooo idea whats on the inside. i posted another thread a week or so ago with a video of the truck and some mods he has on it. and nice engine pictures if yall want to go check it out!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
cool....you definitely can take pride in knowing you did it yourself

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Congrads on a job well done... Keep going... Keep challenging yourself... You'll keep learning more and more...

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well now its throwing some trany codes. Which we thought was gonna happen. Trany and torque converter codes. It should be another adventure!

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
P0743 trans/torque converter relay
P0753 shift solenoid
Which there is a little delay in the shift from 1-2
It used to be tuned and that shift was a split second shift and really firm. Now it shifts smooth but it hiccups.
Now when it was wrecked he said the transmission locked up.truck was on 2wheels and slammed down so i kinda figured it would throw some codes. Transmission is not the original. It is a rebuilt one and has been on for about 40k miles

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
for the p0743 we think we found the reason. he has a mod right under the steering wheel that when you push the button it unlocks the torque converter. during the wreck my friend had smashed his leg into that button and put it into the steering column and think it may be pushed and what not. and as for the throttle we just dont think there is enough pressure so its not gettin up as fast.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That a good possability. Those drum brakes aren't fun. Glad you got it all sorted out. Next thing tranny codes. Those are always fun to track down.

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
forgot to say, we think the codes are gone. what happened was the button and the transmission cable snapped. which was probably the cause of the crash. but as of now i do not think there are any codes being thrown.