Wheel hub mounting bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndgenhemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was replacing my hub assembly when one of the mounting bolts broke off in the threads. I'm thinking that the hub should still come out even though there is still bolt left. My reasoning is there isn't threads in the knuckle so that bolt is no longer holding the hub to the knuckle. I'm wondering because try as I might, bfh, chisels, pry bars, jb 80, cussing later it still hasn't budged. So is my logic wrong? If so how do I proceed from here?

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 61

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have torches, heat it until cherry red. Then it will punch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you have the patience, one thing i've done to get snapped or stuck bolts out of really expensive pieces of equipment on semi's, was to take a die grinder and grind a 1 inch section of the bolt square. Then we had some nice tools, much like a tap handle, that had a square hole on it and attached to a breaker bar. Combine that with heating it red hot and quickly cooling it with WD-40 or water, then reheating to a dull glow and trying to turn it then got every single one i've ever fought out.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
You talking about the hub bearing assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Even with all the bolts out they're a ***** to get out. I usually left the bolts in a few threads, put a socket on them then turned the wheel back and fourth until the socked hit the axle housing. Let the ps pump do the work and press them out. You may have to find a piece of steel just long enough to put in the hole the broke bolt is in. Good luck!

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
not sure of your application, I can't see sigs on my mobile.For my 01 4wd dana 60 front axle, I bought longer "sacrificial" gr8 bolts, screwed them in and then pounded on the heads, slowly working the old hub out of the bore.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
OP
OP

2ndgenhemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know how much of a pita it is to get the hub out. My main question was if the hub mounting bolts are threaded into the knuckle or just the hub. If they are only threaded into the hub then I will just keep working on getting the hub out. If they thread into the knuckle I'm probably just going to get a knuckle from a junk yard and be done with it.