Question about lowered ram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matts8706

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question for anyone who can help me. I have a 2001 dodge ram 2wd. It was lowered before I bought it and I don't know what kind of kit was used. It's not a major drop, just something small. Any how my question is do i have to use a particular shock when I replace them? I would think that I would as the shocks may be shorter now. Any help is appreciated.

deuceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
if it is lowered on blocks then there already might be shorter or factory shocks in it you can get away with the stock ones on the blocks

OP
OP
M

matts8706

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't tell for sure up front, looks like they may have used shorter springs in the front, and in the rear looks like the mount at the rear of the leaf spring is up higher than stock? I dont know a lot about lowering components. But I may go with stock ones and see how they fit. thanks.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a lowered ram, so I'm not much help lol but wanted to say welcome to the forum. :)

OP
OP
M

matts8706

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol well thanks for the welcome.

deuceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
if there are like big aluminum or what have you blocks in between the rear and the leaf springs then they are lowering blocks frnt 2wd uses shackles in the front and sometimes the back

OP
OP
M

matts8706

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, thanks for the help dueceram!

tjfbball01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
lowering?

I have a 01 ram 1500. I want to lower it 4" in the rear and 2" in the front. Than i want to get low profile tires. Any pros and cons i should know about before i lower my truck?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I can't tell for sure up front, looks like they may have used shorter springs in the front, and in the rear looks like the mount at the rear of the leaf spring is up higher than stock? I dont know a lot about lowering components. But I may go with stock ones and see how they fit. thanks.

Welcome to the forum dude! Sounds like they used lowering springs in the front, probably 1-2 inches. For the rear they definately use a drop shackle, that the braket at the end of the leaf spring that you see. There might be different holes at the end so you can fine tune the drop amount. I'd have to see pics to tell how lowered it is, but 2 inches and under, stock shocks would be fine. If it's 4 inches or more, definately use new drop shocks. Quick question, is there a lowered drop bracket on the rear shock mounts? If there is, then the stocks shocks will work fine, although not recommended.

I have a 01 ram 1500. I want to lower it 4" in the rear and 2" in the front. Than i want to get low profile tires. Any pros and cons i should know about before i lower my truck?

Is it a 4x4 or a 2x4? If it's a 2wd, then I would either use drop coils, or lowering spindles. For the rear, drop shackles.

The truck will handle much better, and if you use rear drop shocks the ride will be just as it was stock. With stock shocks, the ride might be a tad stiffer.

Our awesome vendor 3rd Strike Performance!!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts-Aftermarket Accessories!! / 3rd Strike Performance - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums can help you out with the drop kit parts. Gave me a great deal on my drop kit! Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

And if you do get it lowered, join up witht he lower class club! http://www.ramforum.com/f74/lower-class-club-117/index8.html Matt, you can get in on this now if you like bud!

Last edited:

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to RF from a fellow 2nd genner. Trup has you set up with a great place to get a lowering kit from our vendor Duane at 3rd Strike

3rdStrikePerformance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ram Forum! Best way to figure out how much your truck is lowered is to measure the distance between the top of the tires and the bottom of the wheel well. Not sure on the 2nd gens, but the 3rd gens are about 4"-5" in the front/8"-9" in the rear stock. As for figuring out what kind of kit you have, the color of the springs could help. And if it has been dropped more than 2" you really should use lowering shocks.....