1995 2500 add a leaf help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
So I ordered from top gun customz a leveling kit for the front and 2" add a leaf for the rear for my 99 Dodge 2500. Well the way the hanger is set up its pointed up so my question is how do I add the leaf? Do I have to drop the gas tank and fully take out the springs or do I have to remove the bed drop the axle and slide the leaf in that way? I only ever added a leaf to a blazer which was a drop down bracket and the spring was under the axle not over. Any input would be appreciated.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I believe you have to drop the axle and partially disassemble the spring pack to get the AAL into place.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
I believe you have to drop the axle and partially disassemble the spring pack to get the AAL into place.

Well do you know what I mean by the 95 bracket its a bracket with a housing and it has a up hanger so if I unbolt the pack from the back I cant pull the pack down because the leaf pack sits in a L shaped bracket so the only way I see of doing it is taking my bed off or dropping the tank and completely removing the pack to work on it. I mean I never seen a spring pack that the back bracket was L shaped and the spring went on top like a up hanger.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well do you know what I mean by the 95 bracket its a bracket with a housing and it has a up hanger so if I unbolt the pack from the back I cant pull the pack down because the leaf pack sits in a L shaped bracket so the only way I see of doing it is taking my bed off or dropping the tank and completely removing the pack to work on it. I mean I never seen a spring pack that the back bracket was L shaped and the spring went on top like a up hanger.

Can you take a picture? Sounds odd.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yea Ill post them the shackle holds the leaf up like on regular trucks the shackle holds them down.

Unless you've got something weird going on, there should be some "clamps" that hold the leave packs together.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Unless you've got something weird going on, there should be some "clamps" that hold the leave packs together.

16h10qo.jpg

This is what I mean how do I drop the pack down when the shackle is holding the leaf up and if I unbolt the shackle its still got the mounting bracket in the way? That's what I see when I lay under my truck in the back.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
:flipthebird:
16h10qo.jpg

This is what I mean how do I drop the pack down when the shackle is holding the leaf up and if I unbolt the shackle its still got the mounting bracket in the way? That's what I see when I lay under my truck in the back.

Ohhh, gotcha. You need to "drop" the axle and possibly remove the "clamps" holding the leaves. The AAL goes between the bottom most leaf and the overload if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
:flipthebird:

Ohhh, gotcha. You need to "drop" the axle and possibly remove the "clamps" holding the leaves. The AAL goes between the bottom most leaf and the overload if I remember correctly.
I got a long add a leaf the guy from top gun customs said it goes under the top leaf. I just thought that was a weird ass way to put a shackle up in the air and the spring on top I never seen a bottom mount shackle.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I got a long add a leaf the guy from top gun customs said it goes under the top leaf. I just thought that was a weird ass way to put a shackle up in the air and the spring on top I never seen a bottom mount shackle.

That's the way the shackles are on Dodges, that's why shackle flips are so popular for the wheelers.
As for installing the AAL under the top leaf, I dunno, man. I've only seen bottom leafs.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
That's the way the shackles are on Dodges, that's why shackle flips are so popular for the wheelers.
As for installing the AAL under the top leaf, I dunno, man. I've only seen bottom leafs.
Yea my leaf is called a long add a leaf here is the link RCX: 94-01 Dodge 1500 Pickup 4x4 2" Rough Country Rear Long Add-A-Leafs maybe I should have just got the short leaf kit lol. But the shackle flip sounds interesting maybe I'll try your way if not I guess last resort taking the bed off my truck.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yea my leaf is called a long add a leaf here is the link RCX: 94-01 Dodge 1500 Pickup 4x4 2" Rough Country Rear Long Add-A-Leafs maybe I should have just got the short leaf kit lol. But the shackle flip sounds interesting maybe I'll try your way if not I guess last resort taking the bed off my truck.

Sure looks like it. The long leaf I think would provide a better ride, unlike the short leaf.
Shackle flip requires cutting the rivets out of the frame and flipping the hanger over.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Sure looks like it. The long leaf I think would provide a better ride, unlike the short leaf.
Shackle flip requires cutting the rivets out of the frame and flipping the hanger over.
I'm guessing if I cut the rivets out of the frame or grind them I would bolt it back on I might need to buy a new bracket as you can see the PA salt hasn't been kind to my mount. So I'm guessing like other trucks I don't even need to unbolt the shack I can just clamp the springs together with some clamps and take the center bolt out and slide it in that way.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm guessing if I cut the rivets out of the frame or grind them I would bolt it back on I might need to buy a new bracket as you can see the PA salt hasn't been kind to my mount. So I'm guessing like other trucks I don't even need to unbolt the shack I can just clamp the springs together with some clamps and take the center bolt out and slide it in that way.

Yep. Shackle flips usually entail doing that and bolting it back in with grade 8 bolts.....then for more lift you can use drop shackles. :devilfinger:

If you go with a under leaf AAL, yes. Idk about that in pack monstrosity there.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Yep. Shackle flips usually entail doing that and bolting it back in with grade 8 bolts.....then for more lift you can use drop shackles. :devilfinger:

If you go with a under leaf AAL, yes. Idk about that in pack monstrosity there.

yea I think I'll try and do it the normal way first and it that fails I might flip it or take the bed off and do it. I really appreciate all the help I belong to another forum and no one even helps on that dodge forum.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
yea I think I'll try and do it the normal way first and it that fails I might flip it or take the bed off and do it. I really appreciate all the help I belong to another forum and no one even helps on that dodge forum.

Might I ask in a round about way which one it is? Abbreviate it. ;)

You might have to take the bed off simply because of the rust. :crazy:

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Might I ask in a round about way which one it is? Abbreviate it. ;)

You might have to take the bed off simply because of the rust. :crazy:
rfz I hope I don't even though I need to take the bed off anyway to do some corner panel repair because the guy who originally did the repair used duct tape then bondo over top and it peeled. I don't know what he was thinking. I also soaked all the bolts today really good with penetrating oil.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
rfz I hope I don't even though I need to take the bed off anyway to do some corner panel repair because the guy who originally did the repair used duct tape then bondo over top and it peeled. I don't know what he was thinking. I also soaked all the bolts today really good with penetrating oil.

Ah, that one. I hear good and bad things about it.

By taking the bed off you might find some other questionable things. Need a fuel pump? That would be the best time to replace it. :D

And duct tape? :wtf: I know my bondo job wasn't good, but that's just terrible.

OP
OP
B

bdemutis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 gas
Ah, that one. I hear good and bad things about it.

By taking the bed off you might find some other questionable things. Need a fuel pump? That would be the best time to replace it. :D

And duct tape? :wtf: I know my bondo job wasn't good, but that's just terrible.

Fuel pump pressure seems good and yea duct tape and bondo and he didn't even sand anything before doing it so the bondo is coming off.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fuel pump pressure seems good and yea duct tape and bondo and he didn't even sand anything before doing it so the bondo is coming off.

I feel ya. lol

Now that we're thoroughly off topic....pictures of the truck? :D