2nd Gen Ram 1500 lifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrbfy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360V8 5.9L
So, I traded my crawler for a '99 Ram 1500 360V8 5.9L Auto.
It was in dire need of help.
Suspension totally shot and tranny solenoids burnt out, it was locked in 3rd.
Front axle seals shot and all the gear oil had leaked out.
Traded some 38.5" Boggers for 2nd Gen D60's.
Bought 2nd Gen 2500 diesel Coil Springs, Coil Spring 3" spacers, Firestone Airbags, overload springs, shocks, front axle upper & lower bars, etc all for $100.
Had Chevy 63"s(eye to eye) from a 3/4 ton truck laying in garage that I reached to 67" eye to eye.
Un-bolted the front brake line bracket on each axle side and removed brackets, for no need to get extended brake lines.
Traded rims I had for 3rd gen heavy duty diesel springs 64&1/2" overall length.

The 2500 2nd Gen Diesel Coil Springs lifted the front probably 3" over stock, but mine was totally sagging so I'm not sure what stock measurement would be.
Then, the coil spring 3" spacers lifted it another 3"s.
It came with brand new 32" tires on it , which were slightly rubbing on trip home which I could tell by the new rub pattern which wasn't there before the 75 mile trip home.
If I want to center front axle in wheel well it does need slightly longer axle arms. Easy enough.

The rear needs the Chevy 63" spring's (arched to 57"s ) center pin moved about 2"s to center rear axle in wheel well.
Didn't need new spring hangars nor to re-locate them, didn't have to unbolt the fuel tank to get bolts out, etc.
The shocks I had on their, as well as the ones from the parts I purchased in package are all stock length, so I'll need longer shocks.
Just at rest the shocks need to be about 32"s just to bolt up in stock location now it's lifted.
The bumpers are pretty much toast when I got them, so they'll need replaced.
Just thought I'd give some info on my 1st Dodge and lifting it.
Yes, I extended the axle breather hoses, as well as for now the CAD vac lines but I'm going to do the Unit Bearing manual hub swap out as well as front axle CAD Eliminate in future.
The D60's I received are 3.54/3.55 ratio do I'll be selling and/or trading for same in 4.10's.
I'll go to 35" tires then and do a direct drop out and bolt in with stock D44/9.25" for the 2nd Gen D60's in 4.10.
Was a very simple lift just took my time as I'm a one legged man in an ass kicking contest/disabled Marine War Vet.

This was it when I got it.
be9a33e4989e02cb133f066d8ba27015.jpg

This is it how it sets now after lifting.

333fe341b00e0508e2a8ceaa8edb19fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
wonder if you will need any control arms, trac bar, or drop pitman arm..

OP
OP
M

mrbfy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360V8 5.9L
That is to be determined , but I have stated that the front axle upper & lower bars need lengthened .

The gear box came leaky as hell and tie rid was bent.
I think they ran over something or a lot of somethings as the rear ebrake lines and the spare tire as well as the spare tire linkage and brackets are non existent.

Both Sawbar links were broke off and sway bar was just there with nothing holding it up.
It could've drove on it if it lowered about an inch.

1st vehicle in my life I didn't magnify glass inspect.
Circumstances and health and timing all deemed otherwise and I even asked the guy if there was anything I should know it wrong or that I should replace/fix.
He said no, I drive it daily it isn't pretty but a good reliable truck.

Anyways, I can't drive it till I get the solenoids in tranny replaced, the front axle seals replaced or swap in D60 and get shocks.
I got it as a JIC and a if needed DD.
2 boys that are 16 months apart and different sizes deem two different schedules as far as football for one in one size/weight class and the other in different.
One built like mom the other built like dad.
I'm not sure why he sprayed it with plastic but he didn't even get rid of the gloss before he did so, it's all coming off by itself in spots.
So, wife and I are gonna spray it Olive Drab. Marpat style the. Coat it...all after removing the black plastic stuff.
It's a silver flake paint dodge under there.

OP
OP
M

mrbfy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360V8 5.9L
The Firestone air bags are gonna get removed and placed on wife's 2013 Silverado 1500.
Sometimes we get to water the Mustangs here, she gets hay, or Wood pellets, goat feed, and needs to level ride out.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People hate dealing with me. My 97 i just bought took me probably 30 ish minutes of inspecting before I took it for a drive then I looked it over another 10-15 minutes. I had a list going in my mind of everything I was going to need to do right away and offered a price and he accepted. I think at that point he was just tired of dealing with me.haha
But if you got a good deal and you know what you're doing, it should save tons of money at least.

OP
OP
M

mrbfy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360V8 5.9L
The rear shocks are mounted above the frame and below the axle.
The rear upper shock brackets can be unbolted from the frame.
If at rest the shocks need to be 32"s long, then if I mount the shocks above the axle that will take away about 6"s .
Then, if I mount shocks below the frame that should take away another 6"s at least.
That makes the shock thing much more easily to obtain as well as more affordable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam