2wd cummins leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elandrum1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins 24v
Just put a 2.5" rough country leveling kit on my 2000 Dodge Ram cummins 2wd. Rides pretty rough, I know that's pretty common with these lifts, but thought I'd ask around. Is there any way to make the ride a little smoother? if I replace the shocks will that help? Any ideas will be appreciated!!

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
1-most people here will never recommend rough country lifts
2-if you did a steel spacer lift, that would definitely make it ride rougher vs a rubber spacer or typical suspension lift with stiffer coils
3-i don't think a single person here would suggest rough country's shocks that they include either. if you didn't replace them when installing the lift, they're probably shot and ready regardless. which is why most will tell you to do new shocks when you lift so you're not tearing it apart twice.

shocks wise-depends on what you want to spend. pro comp makes a decent shock for the money, most others around here will suggest bilstein's or fox(but those can get pricey if you're in a pinch).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Just put a 2.5" rough country leveling kit on my 2000 Dodge Ram cummins 2wd. Rides pretty rough, I know that's pretty common with these lifts, but thought I'd ask around. Is there any way to make the ride a little smoother? if I replace the shocks will that help? Any ideas will be appreciated!!

New shocks. I have the same one. Coil spacers arent ideal for smooth rides. The smoothest ride your gonna get is if you get new coil springs all together. Same goes for the rear. Blocks will make it ride rough. If you want to keep the blocks then get new shocks.

I got the bilstein 5100's and it helped quite a bit. Not a ton but enough to notice.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
1-most people here will never recommend rough country lifts
2-if you did a steel spacer lift, that would definitely make it ride rougher vs a rubber spacer or typical suspension lift with stiffer coils
3-i don't think a single person here would suggest rough country's shocks that they include either. if you didn't replace them when installing the lift, they're probably shot and ready regardless. which is why most will tell you to do new shocks when you lift so you're not tearing it apart twice.

shocks wise-depends on what you want to spend. pro comp makes a decent shock for the money, most others around here will suggest bilstein's or fox(but those can get pricey if you're in a pinch).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My rough country shocks lasted for a little over a year. Granted they still have the rebound but I just didnt like they way they rode. I still have the blocks and spacers though. Down the road I plan to get new leaf springs and lift coil springs but for now the spacers will do.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Bilstein 5100s and springs vs spacers as the rest have mentioned.

My plan when i lift eventually is 3" lift coils, 5" lift leaves and ditch the factory block, and piece together the l rest of the parts i need for all my geometry changes

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Bilstein 5100s and springs vs spacers as the rest have mentioned.

My plan when i lift eventually is 3" lift coils, 5" lift leaves and ditch the factory block, and piece together the l rest of the parts i need for all my geometry changes

Not a fan of the rear blocks huh? lol

OP
OP
E

Elandrum1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins 24v
Well I bought the spacers off craigslist from a guy where I live, didn't come with any shocks. I'm not sure if the ones I have on there have even been replaced.... I know the spacers aren't ideal for smooth rides, just wondering if there is anything I could do to help it.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Well I bought the spacers off craigslist from a guy where I live, didn't come with any shocks. I'm not sure if the ones I have on there have even been replaced.... I know the spacers aren't ideal for smooth rides, just wondering if there is anything I could do to help it.

Without getting rid of the spacers the only thing would be shocks. And I guess new tires would as well but that's a stretch lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nope not a fan of blocks or spacers.

Bilstein 5100s specd fit a 2-3" lift. Part of your problem is probably due to the fact that stock shocks are only good up to 2". Couple psi less in your tires helps too but will affect your mpg