3 or 5 inch lift (Trail Riding)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
3 or 5 inch lift? I have a 99 1500 with a 318 backed by a 5 speed.

I don't mud it, I don't crawl, the only off-road it sees is trail riding, I have a stock Laramie suspension with a 2.5 inch leveling kit. I like how it rides now but I need more clearance to get way back in the sticks on the mining and logging roads of Upstate New York, my rockers have nicked a rock or two... I don't plan on getting bigger tires, due to the current condition of my rear end and bank account, I have 31's now.

The ideal lift would be 4 inch with new leafs and radius arms, but I have have yet to find such a kit, so my options are as follows:

If I do a 5 inch lift I'm gonna go long arm with new leafs, probably BDS or comparable kit. My question is how detrimental is a 5 inch lift to the front end steering components, I plan on upgrading the gear box but I already replaced all steering linkages with Moog 30,000 miles back. Also the more obvious issue, would it look doofy having 31's under a 5 inch lift? I cant find any pictures on Google because everybody matches the lift with 35's.

A 3 inch lift would work fine in the front but my Laramie suspension already has 2.5 inch blocks stock in the rear, I don't want 5.5 inches of block on those dinky half ton leafs. I know most 3 inch kits come with an "add a leaf" but I feel that won't be enough to keep the rear end stiff.

My third option is a little more complicated and is a little harder to find information on. I've heard of people putting 3/4 ton leafs in the rear with 4 inch blocks matched with a 3 inch lift in the front with coil spacers to make up the difference from the new leafs. Is there something too this method or is it complete ********.

I'm not very familiar with lift kits so any help would be appreciated, I understand that I cannot maintain the factory handling of my truck but I do a fair amount of highway driving so I need reasonable handling at speed, but anything feels normal with enough time. If anyone has any experience with building trail riding trucks, your advice is greatly appreciated. As is everyone's advice on the topic, thank you...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The last company to make a decent 4 inch suspension (Trailmaster) discontinued it years ago. So I'd start saving cash if I were you. 31's will look strange on either size lift and may make your truck handle badly. Going higher means going bigger. If you can buy a lift fix your rear diff first. Lifted suspensions tend to exacerbate other mechanical issues.

The rear lift blocks in your truck, if they have bump stop ears cast in, are original to all Rams

You pretty much are limited to cheap cookie cutter stuff like Rough or Tuff country or top end stuff like BDS or DOR (Dodge Off Road).

Either way you get what you pay for.

You might do a forum search for a thread titled Lift basics for 2nd gen Rams. It may answer your questions or make more. You'll at least have an understanding what lifting a 2nd gen does and what can go wrong.

I wouldn't waste my time and money on 3/4 ton springs... not for what you intend to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45